****** DVLA

Other topics
Roger King

****** DVLA

Post by Roger King »

Not Cobra related, but beware...

I managed to write off an elderly E46 3-series BM estate just over a year ago, which had a private plate on it. I moved the plate onto retention, the car was returned to its original plate by DVLA and scrapped.
I bought another 3-series estate, E92 this time, and transferred the private plate from retention on to this car. All fine.
I now want to sell this car, so have moved the private plate back onto retention. A new V5 arrived for this car, returning it to its original number. In section 3, there is a special note reading: 'this vehicle has been salvaged because the estimated cost of commercial repair was more than the value of the vehicle.' WTF? How am I going to sell a 2-owner, 45,000 mile car with full BMWSH and that written on the V5???

After 5 calls to the DVLA, one to the (very efficient) insurance company who handled the claim, I now have 2 V5s for this car which all have the same note on them, despite assurances that as the incorrect insurance record has now been corrected the case is closed and all is now OK. This morning, V5 No. 3 has arrived, with or without the special note? Have a guess....

We are paying these idiots' salaries. I know they are the victims of this inhuman government's cuts, but this really is beyond a joke. Haven't they heard of chassis numbers, for christ's sake?

Anyone want a really nice 330i petrol estate with low miles and owners for £150?*

*no contract of sale meant or implied
Maxakarudy

Re: ****** DVLA

Post by Maxakarudy »

Sorry to hear this Roger,

DVLA have no understanding of the importance of getting details correct.

Take them to small claims court, for damages (no pun intended)

Martin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Maxakarudy wrote:Sorry to hear this Roger,

DVLA have no understanding of the importance of getting details correct.

Take them to small claims court, for damages (no pun intended)

Martin
Hi Martin, I'll give them another chance, they promised this week to sort it. Then I will consider that - but I like to get a name rather than the organisation. In my experience (road damage from loose chippings) taking a named person to small claims is more effective, but it's impossible to speak to anyone senior now.

What really hacks me off is that they make all this fuss over VIN numbers, which are pretty much impossible to change, but then they don't use them! I couldn't believe the car's record travels with its registration, not its VIN!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Update - at last, V5 no.4 has no special marker. Phew, I was beginning to think it was there for good.
Utterly daft that they don't identify using VINs. That's what they're for - the clue is in the name...
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

That must be a relief!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:That must be a relief!
Just a bit! Can get on and sell it now, so if anyone's looking for a 2009 BMW 325i (3.0 litre) estate, 6spd manual, leather, tow ball etc. in Montego Blue, one owner before me and 50k miles, let me know!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

As you were, chaps....

....not out of the wood yet. I started drawing up an Autotrader ad for the car, and halfway through up pops a yellow circle with the letter 'C' in it.

Yes, that's right - Experian Autocheck, which the Autotrader site is linked to, have it listed as a Category C write-off. Contacted Autotrader - they require a letter from DVLA explaining why it isn't - apparently the V5C itself is not good enough - so off we go around the roundabout again.
I just don't understand why these agencies all identify cars via a means that can be so easily changed. Makes you wonder, really - just stick a 'safe' registration on your newly-built kitcar, 'cos the VIN seems to be completely meaningless!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Good grief :x :roll:

Is there a body that oversees the DVLA ? Give BBC Watchdog a call, they'll love this. :)

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

At last - all clear, and I have a hard copy letter from the DVLA explaining what has happened (which could be useful if any other HPI agency has it as Cat C). What a performance - and still nobody can tell me why they don't use the VIN.