London Ultra Low Emission Zone

Other topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

London Ultra Low Emission Zone

Post by amulheirn »

I notice in the February issue of the ACOC's Action magazine that the proposed 'old car surcharge' has been ditched, and that the Mayor has decided to make 'historic' vehicles exempt. By this, I took it to mean vehicles with historic taxation class, as opposed to old vehicles.

The London ULEZ seems to be going to happen from September 2020. If you're non-compliant, you'll have to pay a daily charge when you drive in London. The zone is the same as the congestion charge one.

So I went to the TFL site to see how the exemptions work. They have a checker to see if you're compliant, but of course it doesn't quite provide the answers many of us would need. I ran through a few scenarios on their vehicle checker and came out with this:

Historic tax class: Exempt
Vehicle registered outside the UK: Details will be made available on how to apply for exemption 'nearer the time'
Vehicle registered before 1/1/2006: Non compliant with ULEZ - take the tube, buy a Yaris or pay daily charge
Vehicle registered after 1/1/2006: Compliant. No action required.

Confusingly, the main page talks about vehicles that were 'built' before 1/1/1973, but perhaps that means they will have historic taxation class and is referring to mass-produced vehicles: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... -with-ulez :
Historic vehicles

All vehicles that have a 'historic' vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially.

Vehicles built before 1 January 1973 will also be exempt from ULEZ. These vehicles were built
before emissions standards came into force and are exempted because of their unsuitability for
engine conversion or replacement.
In my case, I will hopefully get a 1967 plate (age-related to the donor vehicle) but I am guessing my 'Date of first registration' (section 4B of the V5c) is going to be the date it was registered as a Hawk. Would you agree?

Cheers,

Andrew
allan horsfall

Re: London Ultra Low Emission Zone

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Andrew,

I guess it will depend on whether or not they go by registration No. year, or check via the DVLA, but with so many private plates to take into consideration the likelyhood is DVLA registration date.

Allan
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It will be year of registration. So, my 4.7 litre carburetted V8 at 15mpg will be exempt!
Barmy.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I agree that the situation ref historic status continues to be confusing if only for me!
At the time of my build my '67 donor allowed me to have my Hawk registered as historic but the V5 still shows 1999.
So which status would they accept. Historic or 1999 registered?

I checked with DVLA and having an SVA test allowed me to not have an MOT for three years. I think they provided a MAC certificate at the time.
When obtaining a tax disc from the post office they told me I was illegal in not having the MOT during that time but still gave me the disc anyway.
More recently when attending my annual MOT we found that my car had disappeared off the DVLA data base and had to be reinstated. This was apparently due to a new MOT data base and only the production cars had been transferred across at the time. There are now two Hawks with the same reg but slightly differing description due to how the MOT guy entered what he thought was appropriate.

My belief is that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and this will continue in typical government department tradition.
Does the Mayor of London actually know what a historic vehicle is?
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:My belief is that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and this will continue in typical government department tradition.
Whilst that certainly used to be the case Peter, it no longer is, unfortunately - there is a new broom at DVSA, and computerisation removes all the vagaries of the recent past. So, your car is classified as taxation class 'historic'? As first registered in 1999? I'm very surprised as my understanding of the legislation says it can't be, but if it is I'm afraid I don't think that will last.
My car was given an age-related registration number, but declared 2016 registered and I pay road tax. 3 years without an MOT, and no emissions test at MOT time. But as it's not historic, I won't get my mileage limited or any other horrors when that comes in. Not to start with, at any rate...