The Grand Project

Other topics
Roger King

The Grand Project

Post by Roger King »

End of week two, and we've shifted 150 tons of topsoil, cleared the oversite and cast the footings. Today saw the latest instalment (up to 100 tons and counting) of finest granite Type 1 delivered, spread and rolled with shuttering and more concrete due next week.
I'd post photos, but this website is running so slowly (approx. 5 mins per page to load - only T289R, everything else is working normally) and life's too short.
Need to think about a grand opening! At least there's going to be much less gardening to do from now on...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: The Grand Project

Post by peterc »

We will look forward to your pictures in due time and admire with a generous amount of envy. My main reason for wanting to move house - a tandem garage is a pain.
Your old garage was good for four cars from memory so is the new one six or eight car size, appreciating of course you need plenty of space to work on each.
Have you been watching too much of Jay Leno's garage. Have the cars parked herring bone fashion so each can be driven out without moving another.
As you have several cars to house have you considered car parking lifts to make best use of floor space.
Strongman Engineering at sm-eng.co.uk
Best of luck with the build.
Peter C
David Large

Post by David Large »

Roger,

The club is desperate for storage for show stands and the like - any possibilities. We have to find alternative storage by Xmas or it will all go in a skip.
I know that you are not building to provide club storage space, but I thought that this was an opportunity to put this problem in front of the members.

Regards

David

PS my racing car needs a home too!
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Come on Roger pics up .................. :wink:

Yesterday I installed a parking lift in my double garage, it is a Model 1 from these guys, http://www.sjrgarageequipment.co.uk/4-post-lifts/

It went together faultlessly and is a really well built piece of kit. For the money an absolute no brainer to create more storage.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I'm in the centre of town in a conservation area, so it's single storey only, I'm afraid. I personally am not a fan of lift storage as I'm always moving cars around and/or working on them, and you can bet I'd want to get to one parked on a lift with the one below sitting there without an engine, or similar. Also I need the flexibility of a pit - no pillars in the way (to allow parking in parallel or longitudinally), and cover up and forget when not in use. This is actually two buildings - one as a dedicated restoration workshop with the aforementioned pit, the other as parking with workshop capabilities.
With the new purchase, I'm now up to 7 toys, so a couple of spaces are already double-booked, I'm afraid, David!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

David Large wrote:Roger,

The club is desperate for storage for show stands and the like - any possibilities. We have to find alternative storage by Xmas or it will all go in a skip.
I know that you are not building to provide club storage space, but I thought that this was an opportunity to put this problem in front of the members.

Regards

David

PS my racing car needs a home too!
Pity I'm so far away. This is currently empty....

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
David Large

Post by David Large »

Wow Clive. If only!

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Phew, long day today! Brickies on site at 7am, and the scaffolders left at 10pm. They're earning their money, these guys! Four roller shutter installations now booked for 3 weeks time, but we have to get the 6m steel floor joists in first. 400Kg each and have to be manhandled through the driveway under the bedrooms. I might be out that day...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Roger
I thought that your original garage was detached from the house? Are you now extending the house to have a four car wide garage? Floor joists for supporting the bedrooms or floor joists for the corners of the pit(s)
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The original garage is detached from the house, by 1.8m. Access to the new garage is via a drive-through under the bedrooms of the house, over the site of the old garage. The new one is further away from the house: the steel joists are for the roof space in the garage - I need as much storage as I can get, and I don't want trusses in the way.