The Grand Project

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: The Grand Project

Post by peterc »

I can start to appreciate the enormity of the project. So you will be filling in the original pit and starting again.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Indeed!

New pit is under the boards, front left in the workshop end. The builder now insists on referring to the larger bit at the back as the 'showroom'. No pressure to keep it clean, then...
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Roger King wrote:Phew, long day today! Brickies on site at 7am, and the scaffolders left at 10pm. They're earning their money, these guys! Four roller shutter installations now booked for 3 weeks time, but we have to get the 6m steel floor joists in first. 400Kg each and have to be manhandled through the driveway under the bedrooms. I might be out that day...
One day recently I received a really large delivery. The lorry driver was on his own and asked for my help. "Sorry mate" I told him "I daren't help you, its my back you see." He asked if I'd got a back problem and I said "No mate, not at all. And its staying that way!" Eventually he went off to get help. Later on, I thought it was the least I could to make him and Nicky a cup of tea! :roll:

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Getting there now...

Roof going on, around 100 rafters when it's done. The main workshop roller shutter's been installed too, but the rain's being a bit of a pain today.

amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Bloody hell - now *that* is something else! Wow.

Are your walls double-skinned Roger, or single with brick piers?

Cheers,
Andy
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The 'showroom' end (with Mick's head poking out between the rafters) is single skin brick with piers, the workshop is HD blockwork with piers and will be timber-clad, painted black. The far end will be facework inside ('cos the bricks are very pretty) with a plastered ceiling and LED downlighters, the builder has decided (but he's not paying for it). The workshop will most likely end up painted white inside, including the pit. Internal staircase at the far gable end up to engineering and parts storage above. Being a short-arse has its benefits, too - I can stand up under the ridge with 20mm to spare, but need to remember the 5 collars at the ridge where the steels are, or the odd headache might ensue.
Treated myself to a new 150litre SIP compressor and a plumbed-in Transair delivery system, and a Benchmaster steel Super-HD automotive bench.

When it comes to Brownie points, I am completely, utterly and irreperably bankrupt.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Think I'll print your picture and stick it on my affirmations wall for when I'm rich. Knew I should have studied harder at school (on the days I went).

Mind you, I'm done with pits. When I'm rich, I'll have a floor that sinks down into the ground, enough for me to get a two post lift in that would raise up the car to a comfortable working height.

BTW, I'm not jealous Roger, I'm not. Really. I believe that when one sees excellence in others, one should simply model it. You're an inspiration to me! I even treated myself recently to the Haynes working model kit of a V8 engine so I could start to get my head around this whole mechanical engineering thing. I just need to remember where I put it...
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Colin Newbold wrote:
When I'm rich, I'll have a floor that sinks down into the ground, enough for me to get a two post lift in that would raise up the car to a comfortable working height.
Colin, as long as you race cars, you'll never be rich! :lol:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

So wise.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

This site is turning into a Facebook wannabe. Leaves me feeling totally inadequate and under achieving.