Childhood dream realised

Other topics
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Childhood dream realised

Post by Dave Woodward »

For those who may be interested, I recently added a '97 993 C2S to the garage. Hopefully a childhood dream and investment rolled up in one.

Nicky drove it to the chairmans BBQ last weekend and I think my main problem now is going to be getting her out of it!

Re: Childhood dream realised

Post by Roger King »

Dave Woodward wrote:For those who may be interested, I recently added a '97 993 C2S to the garage. Hopefully a childhood dream and investment rolled up in one.

Nicky drove it to the chairmans BBQ last weekend and I think my main problem now is going to be getting her out of it!

Mmm, nice.
Are you feeding her through the window, or did she take provisions with her when she got in? If you have real difficulty, I believe the fire brigade can lend you a device that cuts through the pillars and peels the roof back. Can't you tempt her out with wine? Works for Morag...
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

...although, tbh, it doesn't take that much effort to get her out of the Cobra.
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Last of the air cooled. .... good choice
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Dave was ahead of the curve here and has done exactly what I've also now done in acquiring an air cooled 911 to sit alongside our Cobra's; such an intelligent choice for a pairing of sports cars.

I'd spent (too) much time considering what would be the ideal car to compliment a Cobra and came to the ultimate conclusion that for me, a 'proper' 911 was indeed that car (with apologies to any Dino owners in the vicinity, of course; they're alright if you like farfalle pasta instead of Sauerkraut. I won't use an emoji here as I don't want to raise Roger's blood pressure, but if I did, it would be winking at Paul right now (and wearing lederhosen).

Unlike Roger, who is building the automotive equivalent of Crystal Palace to house his lovely collection (and how I'd love to do that), the deal in the Marshall household is that I can have what I can garage at home, which is sadly just two cars, so I wanted to acquire a brace of cars that fulfil different purposes and deliver similar emotions. To quote Paul, in driving terms, a Porsche is a precision instrument, whilst a (427) Cobra is a sledgehammer - I couldn't have put it better myself. And whilst the Steve McQueen thing has now been done thoroughly to death, I do still really enjoy watching Le Mans as much as I do Two Lane Blacktop, even if either is as short on dialogue or plot as they are strong on authentic feel.

You absolutely have a car for life there Dave - and yours really is a benchmark example that will be equally at home at Le Mans or on the concours lawn at Goodwood.

I look forward to parking mine next to yours so we can compare notes!

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It's a very personal view, but I reckon the M Coupe fulfils the same brief - many period road tests described it as a modern Cobra - and it's a bit left field too, which I like. 325bhp in a Z3 chassis is interesting!
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

I think it's a very well founded view, Roger and it's one of those rare cars that stays with you.

I clearly remember the first one I saw, back in 1998 - in Estoril Blue (472) and I thought to myself at the time 'I'd really like one of those'. I seem to recall that it was a 'skunk werks' car that the engineers built in secret apart from their day jobs and then approved by the factory for production against all logic, which made it even more attractive.

Another intelligent choice, well chosen!
Last edited by Marsh on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Marsh wrote:Another intelligent choice, well chosen!
Yes, just like the 2CV van... er...
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

But seriously, nice Porsche, Dave.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Thanks Roger. Really pleased with the purchase.

Great car to drive and looks good from all angles. Very happy.