Electric E type

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Electric E type

Post by peterc »

I guessed it would happen eventually but I am amazed it's so soon.
Jaguar Land Rover Classic department have taken a pristine 1968 Mk 1.5 E type and made it electric. Yes, removed the straight six and implanted a battery and electric motor.
They wanted to prove that there would be life for old classics in the future.
The battery is the same shape as the old engine and fits into the same position. The electric motor and reduction gearbox are positioned where the bell housing and gearbox would have been.
The electric set up has been de tuned to give approx the same power as the old engine but being slightly lighter and with the torque of an electric motor the performance is better.
Externally the dashboard gives the game away that something is changed otherwise it's all looking 1968. I wonder how much they have devalued it by and of course the development cost is probably rather high.
I can't help feeling this is a very sad day. A silent Jag? A silent Cobra ? Oh err.
Will the other manufacturers follow to prove they can as well.
Peter C
Maxakarudy

Re: Electric E type

Post by Maxakarudy »

It's just wrong....https://youtu.be/wDl1Zly2kaw

I reckon there will be so many people getting run over by these silent cars in the future, they'll have to play music like ice cream vans, that's my answer :D

And it will be on an effin Q plate too :lol:
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by John H »

They certainly could have done something better with the dash! I think we all need to club together and get a refinery started small scale to ensure we can get access to fuel!
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The getting run over will most definitely be a big big issue with electric cars.
I watch 19 out of 20 people cross the junction opposite my house without looking at all. Regardless of age and whether they are on their phone or not they just don't look.
If you play a piece of music you will probably need to pay for a music licence fee so it will those infuriating bleeps that lorries use when reversing !!!
It's sacrilege and I certainly don't agree with it regardless of which Classic they have ruined.

It would still be classed as a Classic without a Q plate as they can still muster more than 8 points. It's only the engine and transmission that's changed. Same body plus original suspension/ axles all round.
It's still wrong but then talk to me in another 10 years.
Peter C
COX5012
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by COX5012 »

Surely this destroys the whole point of owning an e type!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Totally agree. Every Classic has its sounds and smells which is why we love them.
To change them is destroying part of engineering history and heritage.

The worry is that the politicians get hold of this development and decide that we should all do it. Jokes made about classics adorning your garden as a static ornament are another step nearer. Yuck!
Peter C
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

peterc wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 am I guessed it would happen eventually but I am amazed it's so soon.
Jaguar Land Rover Classic department have taken a pristine 1968 Mk 1.5 E type and made it electric.
I can't help feeling this is a very sad day. A silent Jag? A silent Cobra ? Oh err.
Boy, they are SO FAR behind the times!
I'm sure I recall something about a couple of Cobra chassis' in period being used for electric vehicles, and 10 years ago THIS HAPPENED!!! (Watch the video, especially the bit where he talks about placing the batteries to get the "RATE WATIO" right! :oops: )
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

They have built an individual space framed car that has electric power and I’m sure a lot of expertise has gone into the design. The body could have been any shape but just happens to look like a 427. They haven’t ruined an original Classic car in the process.
Peter C