Wrong career

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Wrong career

Post by peterc »

Clearly I followed the wrong career. I have just read the latest offering from Aston Martin of brand a new DB4 GT at £1.8 million each. No you can’t have one as they are all sold!
Like the recent issue of 6 lightweight E types at £1 million each and apparently some 9 XKSS from Historic Jaguar then Aston obviously saw the need to oblige with some new old DB’s.
Only 25 will be built and because they will be classed as new vehicles but can’t meet current regulations they will not be able to be road registered. So 25 owners will have them as track cars but possibly denied to option to compete in historic racing.
This is madness or perhaps I am just insanely jealous.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Wrong career

Post by KevinW »

I think sadly many will be considered investments and live out their days in a hermetically sealed bag.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Why couldn't they be IVA'd to make them road legal, wouldn't it be like a DB427?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

To get through IVA they would need to get rid of all the sharp external edges and internally the dash would need total revamp to tuck the switches into the safe area. At that price I think these buyers are expecting the car to be to 100% original design. They are trying to buy some history. OK they are ignoring the extra capacity.
Peter C
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

I think I spot an opening here.
Maybe, If I were to spout a load of crap and wear a posh watch and shiny shoes and use lots of pointless big words I could offer a "road registering service".
Now I'm sure this monumental task that only I am capable of completing should be worth a nominal fee of say £70,000. For a service that will without doubt double or even tripple the value of the vebicle for the more discerning clients.

Honest mate. :-D
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I don't see why, if you're spending that amount on one of these, that you would accept an unregisterable vehicle.
There would have to be a lot of changes made to get it through IVA from 'original spec', but if money is no object, who gives a ship? So it needs Metro seats and a plastic steering wheel and nice safe dash switches....whatevs, mo' money get's it back to spec.

However, they shouldn't be denied the option to compete in historic racing, as long as they have an FiA HTP they will be eligible, although unless they are in a particularly important livery/historically important guise, they may not receive an invite to the Goodwood Revival
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

As Nik says when you pay out those sort of numbers a few extra £10k’s is of no consequence and there must be a big plus to having it properly Road registered. Perhaps DVLA might view this differently.

Ref racing in classic races I think that there is a general feeling by original car owners that newly made versions will have an advantage just because they are new. In this case engine is 4.2 not 3.7 which gives 350 instead of 303bhp. I’m sure a bit of modern thinking will have been engineered in thoughout the construction.
But then who thinks that the originals racing at the revival are actually anywhere near to original. Each time something is repaired it will be to the latest standards. Some of the classics are turning out considerably more horses than in the 50’s and 60’s.
Scullduggery isn’t limited to modern times. A certain racing Austin Westminster A90 ( circa 1955 vintage) did rather well in its day. It turned out that the owner had made a complete copy of the original car but in Aluminium.

We will just have to be content with our fibreglass copies unless Ernie pays out of course.
Peter C
WinfordRi

Post by WinfordRi »

db replicas wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 pm I think I spot how best to use Leanbean here.
Maybe, If I were to spout a load of crap and wear a posh watch and shiny shoes and use lots of pointless big words I could offer a "road registering service".
Now I'm sure this monumental task that only I am capable of completing should be worth a nominal fee of say £70,000. For a service that will without doubt double or even tripple the value of the vebicle for the more discerning clients.

Honest mate. :-D
That's a good point, Peter. I noticed that too, when ever they repair anything, they usually modify it significantly. It's fair play, if you ask me.
Last edited by WinfordRi on Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

It’s a trade-off.
If you want to keep your car ‘original’, it ain’t gonna be competitive, against new or old-but-tweaked original cars.
Nigel Hulme found that in 1998 at the first Revival, where cars 39PH beat in period were several seconds a lap quicker!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Lister appear to have found a way to make a new old car that’s “100% street legal”: https://twitter.com/listercars/status/9 ... 2018574337