IVA mods for older cars

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

IVA mods for older cars

Post by peterc »

Hi Guys one and all.
Clearly we have quite a few members who have now successfully battled their way through a recent IVA test.
Whilst some of these IVA requirements must seem a bit OTT there is probably a number of items that you guys would suggest would actually be of benefit if added to an older car that has ‘only’ been through an SVA test.
Ideas to be put forward would make a good magazine article.
Owners of older cars could then decide what if any items they wish to retro fit.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: IVA mods for older cars

Post by KevinW »

Apart from the earthing of the fuel tank and cap, and the need for headrests, i can't think of anything in my recent test that rendered it superior to SVA....unless ofcourse members might take the view that a reverse light, a little sticker on your master cylinder that says DOT4 Brake fluid, and making sure your VIN plate doesn't have the word England on it represent crucial safety features.

I'm not bitter and twisted, honest ;)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Don't forget the legends on your switches Kevin
Also the washer jets will kill a pedestrian in the event of a crash but not the wipers. So ensure the washer jets have a suitable radius :)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

OK so the list of apparently unecessary/ picky requirements far exceeds the sensible/ understandable ones.
I think the earthing of the tank and filler is a good one. How did you connect the earth to the tank - via a bolt on the fuel sender?
I investigated the roll over tank shut off valve but after discussions with the manufacturers agree that a Cobra doesn’t have enough height above the tank full level. Any valve fitted below that level could fill with fuel during cornering etc which affects its duty.
If anything else sensible comes to mind I am still interested.
I have only labelled the dash switches in the last 2-3 years to reflect those used in ‘64. I did not have to comply with the protrusions regs for my SVA as the car was a pre ‘98 start and finished pre 2000.
I have chosen to retain my side repeaters as being a safety feature in today’s hectic traffic.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Pete,
Radiator earthing clamps fit nicely on the seams of the Hawk fuel tank.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

ah yes forgot about that - indeed Stu. The switch labels I have decided i actually quite like, so wasn't on my 'objectionable item' list.

And don't forget your rear fog light must not come on with sidelights, only Dip and Main!

I earthed the tank by simply adding an earth tag to one of the screws on the sender unit and tying this to the nearest loom earth. The cap was earthed similarly using a tag on a nut'n'bolt on the underside of the neck, and running this down to the earth for the rear lights (quite nearby on the Crendon).
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks guys,
I’ll have to investigate the clamps idea. Commercially our clients would only accept a proper welded on tapped boss to take the earth strap.
Peter C