How big do you need your garage to be

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

How big do you need your garage to be

Post by peterc »

Just watched a program on More 4 - channel 14 titled impossible builds. It’s a bit like grand designs. In this case a German guy living in the UK wants to live in Surrey with his classic car collection which includes a few Mercedes.

End result is a two bed single story house with a 12 car garage complete with viewing gallery. That’s three double width and double depth garages all in one continuous space.
If necessary he can also drive a car into his lounge as the access door across into the house is rather wide.
He chose to use Dura the garage fitting company to supply the cabinets for his kitchen to have continuity of design in both house and garage.
Roof of both house and garage is made up of northern lights let the light in and keep the sun out.
Water is passed through panels located on the southern side of the pitched roof and stored underground from which the heat is then extracted to heat the building. He wants a constant 18 C for the cars.

Rather envious of his priorities and the ability to complete the dream especially in Surrey.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Re: How big do you need your garage to be

Post by simonjrwinter »

Does he need both bedrooms?......surely one of them is taking up valuable garage space.....(JMHO)

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I saw this too, but I can't recall if he's married!

Pity we never saw his car collection in situ.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Be fair Simon living in a Mercedes sports car is a big ask especially if it hasn’t got reclining seats.
Agreed Clive, I was looking forward to seeing what was in the collection.
I noticed that they didn’t divulge any clues as to which was the nearest village thus avoiding any future security issues.
There must be several old coal yards that now have alternative uses.
He did say that some cars were still in Germany and that’s despite him living in the UK for a long time.
I did think after my posting that you would remind us of how big your barn(s) are.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I must admit to having watched that out of interest, too, having done a similar build last year - but personally wasn't too impressed overall. The finished buildings looked more like an industrial unit to me, and the garage was clearly built for someone who doesn't work on his cars. Not sure what that would look like after a day of angle-grinding and welding, let alone Dinitrol application. I think the give-away was in the ridiculous tool cabinets. Might be OK for F1 but not for a working mechanic! Imagine all the dust that would settle on that internal roof bracing, with no ceiling... and where was his parts storage?
When building ours, I specified commercial insulated steel roller shutter doors with no external handles, not plate glass showroom windows. I think that's asking for trouble - not to mention being very nervous when cutting the grass nearby.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

here's the link for anyone interested in watching:
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/impossible-builds
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think you are right Roger. A man who clearly only stores his cars and does no work in them apart from polishing. I assume he has the money to get someone else to get their hands dirty.
Agreed on the security. If someone can be nosey and peer through the front gates they will get the full display of all the cars waiting to be spirited away.
Wasn’t long ago that someone did a smash and grab raid on a local car show room full of classics positioned on a village high street with a busy main road. OK they only took one ( Ford Mexico ) which apparently was worth a fair bit.
I assume that the garage will have got some heavy duty bollards in place a bit quick to prevent a repeat.
Peter C