Le Mans 2016 Classic Trip-which way over channel ?

Club events that are going on around the world
Roger King

Re: Le Mans 2016 Classic Trip-which way over channel ?

Post by Roger King »

PaulB wrote:Only for the return journey Dave and last year was the first time we'd done that. I'm sure the Newhaven-Dieppe route was sub £200 in the past, but the Portsmouth-Cean route is closer to £500, or more if you have a return crossing cabin.
We've only paid a £35 deposit, so if the Newhaven-Dieppe crossings become available, we may swap back to that.

Paul
Blimey. That'd buy a couple of nights in France and a Dover-Calais crossing, and a nice drive through France instead of a horrible one to Portsmouth (depends where you start from, obviously). Must admit I prefer spending time in the car to time on a boat!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Don't think time spent on boat has a direct impact on time spent in car Roger, especially when I'm drinking and sleeping :wink:

Post by Roger King »

I was thinking of Portsmouth-Caen being longer on the boat than Dover-Calais, and Caen-Le Mans being shorter in the car than Calais-Le Mans. But you're probably better placed - getting to Portsmouth from here's horrible.

Mmmmm... drinking and sleeping... definitely up for that
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

I tried to book the Newhaven crossing a couple of weeks ago, no chance even though I changed departure days and we're not coming straight back after race finish. Typical, move 200mile away and Newhaven only 15m away and now can't get on it!

Just reflecting on another route, my 70 Mach 1 Mustang won't be ready in time, but just done a deal on a 67 fastback mustang which although looking a bit rough around the edges as some panels in primer, should be here for early spring so perhaps might use that or the X3 will make another trip to France via the long route of Calais and this time spend some more time on a slower trip sightseeing on the way down, decisions, decisions......

Chris
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Chris,

I've been in touch with DFDS regarding the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry and they haven't released the timetable yet, so don't worry. They should have been published about 2 weeks ago, but they've been postponed until the new year.
I've provisionally booked Portsmouth - Cean, but it's ridiculously expensive. You'd think it was a Caribbean cruise rather than a cross-channel ferry. :roll: However, when the Newhaven - Dieppe schedules are released, I'll probably swap to that as I've only paid a £35 deposit so far.
That being the case, we'll probably meet up in Brighton again for fish & chips on the sea front.

Regards,
Paul
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

Paul Blore wrote:Hi Chris,

I've been in touch with DFDS regarding the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry and they haven't released the timetable yet, so don't worry. They should have been published about 2 weeks ago, but they've been postponed until the new year.
I've provisionally booked Portsmouth - Cean, but it's ridiculously expensive. You'd think it was a Caribbean cruise rather than a cross-channel ferry. :roll: However, when the Newhaven - Dieppe schedules are released, I'll probably swap to that as I've only paid a £35 deposit so far.
That being the case, we'll probably meet up in Brighton again for fish & chips on the sea front.

Regards,
Paul
Paul,
Thanks, I thought it was strange and was going to ring myself. Will check it post New Year week and advise.

Chris
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Newhaven - Dieppe tickets now available.
Wednesday 6th July @ 2300 out, back Monday 11th July @ 1800. £98!! (plus £50 if you want cabin outbound)
If I get the time off work I'll see you there
Andy
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

andyg wrote:Newhaven - Dieppe tickets now available.
Wednesday 6th July @ 2300 out, back Monday 11th July @ 1800. £98!! (plus £50 if you want cabin outbound)
If I get the time off work I'll see you there
Andy
Andy,
Thanks for the heads up - booked up for Wed late pm departure and back later in the following week -only issue was lack of cabins on way out, single booked and heads or tails on who gets the bed, Yvonne or I, bet it wont be me :shock:
David Large

Post by David Large »

Hi All,

After deliberation over these crossings I have decided to change our route to avoid the £500+ crossing I had placed a deposit on. I will no doubt have to sacrifice the deposit.

So we are now going at 5/30pm on Tuesday 5th July from Newhaven to Dieppe and returning from Dieppe on the 2359 hrs sailing (with a cabin) on Monday 11th; all for the princely sum of £145.86. So we are going to stooge around France for a couple of nights to arrive at Chateau Dobert onThursday 7th - which I think is the plan. I doubt we will spend the £300+ enjoying ourselves that we will be saving on shipping costs!

There are no cabins left on the late Newhaven - Dieppe crossing on Weds 6th and there is only one cabin left on the late crossing on Monday 11th from Dieppe.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
David Large

Post by David Large »

I have now booked a room in an hotel in Dieppe for a comfortable night when we get off the ferry.
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!