Le Mans 2016 Classic Trip-which way over channel ?

Club events that are going on around the world
Roger King

Re: Le Mans 2016 Classic Trip-which way over channel ?

Post by Roger King »

Very fond of your ferry (or 'Bac'), David. A really nice and very 'French' way of getting across the Seine.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Pictures please. There must be some!

Post by Roger King »

Indeed there are:

A fun diversion, brief break from driving, and free!!

It's at Duclair, to the East of Rouen.
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

Roger, super impressed you are bringing the car over, hope all goes well.

I don't think my wife will let me take the 67 fastback, I'll likely only have had it around 2 months by then and it's got that patina'd look with no carpets... :roll:

Might have to be the X3, I'll try and stop at the back....
Chris
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I've just changed our ferry crossing to the 23:00 on Wednesday evening, so they'll be quite a few of us.

Are we going to meet up in Brighton again for Fish & Chips on the front before going on to Newhaven? It's worked okay for the past few years and gives a nice wide time window to aim for without having to sit around at the port for hours on end.

Dave Beck and I will be in the Cobra (or Ferrari if it's peeing down :wink: ) and Selina and Jo with be in the Range Rover with all the luggage. 8)

Looking forward to it already.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, we'll meet at Brighton for fish and chips, more info please!

I'm sure you could swing by St Ives on the way down so we can give Selina and Jo our extra baggage (insert smiley here)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Last time we met at the Fish & Chip Shop on Madeira Drive from around 7:00pm onwards and we left at about 9:00pm, which gave us plenty of time to get fuelled up and get to the ferry port by the required 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time. However, based on past experience, the ferry is always significantly late to depart, but generally arrives on time. Unfortunately, that means less time to get some sleep on board.

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Good News, Bad News.

After weeks of not knowing, I was finally told that my entry into Plateau 4 was declined :cry: 3 x MGBs is the limit and they've given those places to Barry Sideways-Smith (ex-works car, he always gets in), plus two different French entries (probably the same crews as last time). In my rejection letter, I think there was a veiled hint to the possibility that running my car in all of the Peter Auto GT endurance events (5 in total, all in continental Europe and a small mortgage required for the privilege!) might just improve my chances next time! BTW, provisional entries are now on the LMC website. Kevin Kivlochan actually put my entry in, I would have given him the night drive if we'd been successful. You can see that he has been accepted into Plateau 3 with his Ace.

So that's the bad news over!

The good news is that Nicky and I'll be with all of you on the 289 Register tour courtesy of Sir William :lol: Accommodation was already reserved but I had to get my tickets through 1st Tickets, the official agents, which technically means I'll be parking up with the Cobra Replica Club. I'm sure that once inside, parking with you guys will be possible. I also purchased Dunlop Grandstand tickets (that's generally the best view of the action, which is why those tickets are the most expensive). I've also paid for track laps with the CRC on Saturday morning (not quite the on-track experience I was hoping for but hey-ho!). Is that the same session as you guys?

I've booked Le Shuttle already, departure time 07:20 on the Thursday, return time 17:35 on the Monday. I know Alan Miller is going on the same train...John, which train are you on? Anyone else going about that time?

Finally, now that I'm not racing at Le Mans, anyone going to the Spa Summer Classic, June 24-26? I'm going to enter for the 3 hour race from 19:00 to 22:00 on the Saturday night, and possibly the Classic K/Swinging Sixties races both days. That's a whole season's racing in just one weekend! F..k the Le Mans Classic selection panel, I know I can get into those races :twisted:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Karl

Post by Karl »

I think your German groupies will be there like always!
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

I'll make sure we've got plenty of beer Karl!
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"