Le Mans Classic appearance of 1966 winning GT40

Club events that are going on around the world
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Le Mans Classic appearance of 1966 winning GT40

Post by peterc »

Info for those attending the Le Mans Classic
I have just read that the 1966 Le Mans winning GT40 chassis No P/1046 has just completed a nut and bolt restoration. It was taken apart after the 1966 race with its parts used to adorn publicity displays ! It was later re assembled as a road car. Its current owner has had it rebuilt to be identical to that used in the 1966 race. Detail of the authenticity includes all the errors of the original build e.g right down to the wrinkle in the cold air box around the carbs and the dymo tape labels for the switch gear. The restorer assures the new owner that the car is now exactly what Bruce McLaren saw on 18th June 1966.
The car is due to make a parade lap to mark the 50th anniversary of the win.
Peter C
Roger King

Re: Le Mans Classic appearance of 1966 winning GT40

Post by Roger King »

Peter,

XGT-2 has just been restored by Mark and Carrie at Raredrive, who very kindly supplied several of the more obscure parts for my Cobra build/restoration over the last year or two. The story of the restoration is a true labour of love (sorry, labor of love) by a great bunch of people. Worth a look:

http://www.raredrive.com/gt40-restoration

Roger
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Le Mans Classic appearance of 1966 winning GT40

Post by peterc »

Thanks Roger.
The article in the August edition of Octane has 6+ pages extolling the hard work by these guys. By looking at hundreds of photos they were able to correctly rebuild it as it was even down to uneven spacing of rivets !
Apparently every American built car was different as they were each built by different mechanics whose interpretation was different to the guy building the car in the next bay.
It's the winning black car wearing No2 that was readied for the Le Mans celebration parade. However it looks like I got it wrong that it was the main race not the Classic.
Peter C