LE JOG 2016

Club events that are going on around the world
Colin Newbold

LE JOG 2016

Post by Colin Newbold »

I'm delighted to announce that I will be sitting in the co-pilot seat for a change :D .

I have been invited to navigate for my good friend Dean Halsey in his Datsun 240Z in this December's LE JOG Rally, so called because we drive from Lands End to John O'Groats over 3 days. In the depths of winter! :roll:

Dean's 'Z' is being built up from a bare shell, and will have over 300 brake and even more in talks. Bring it on!

If any of you can point me towards resources for regularity trialling (how to use a Halda, etc.), I'd be very grateful.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: LE JOG 2016

Post by clive »

Don't fret Colin. As long as you have a heater the weather isn't too bad up here in December. It's hardly the Arctic Circle!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
David Large

Post by David Large »

I was in John O'Groats last week having driven the support car for my cycling mate.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

clive wrote:Don't fret Colin. As long as you have a heater the weather isn't too bad up here in December. It's hardly the Arctic Circle!
Hmmmm!! Good point...a heater? Now this is also going to be a race car....hmmmm!
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Only a month to go now, and the excitement's building!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Do you know what route you're taking?
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I would highly recommend winter tyres as they have a lot more silicone content and work better in temperatures below 7 degrees. They don't have to specifically have the snowflake symbol but it would help if the white stuff does show itself. Trying to puts large amounts of power down in winter temperatures would otherwise be interesting!
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

It's hardly the Arctic Circle! I've never used winter tyres in over 40 years of driving in Scottish winters.
Cheers, Clive.

Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:It's hardly the Arctic Circle! I've never used winter tyres in over 40 years of driving in Scottish winters.
Must admit I've never bothered with winter tyres in the Alps in January, just chains for the really snowy and steep bits.

Perhaps I should add that I've never taken a Cobra there at that time of the year... but a 24 ounce Datsun should be fine in Scotland.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I must admit that I am a convert to low temperature rubber ever since driving in Norway 5 years ago. Its not just snow that they are good for. Evo magazine did a back to back tests of six winter tyres against summer rubber and whilst the results on snow / ice were amazing they also achieved far better laps times and performance on just a rain soaked track at low temperatures which you must get throughout the UK.
On snow the point at which the winter tyre had stopped the car from 30 mph the summer tyre had only reduced the speed to 20 mph ! That's quite a big bump when it happens.
As they say unless you have tried it you don't know what you are missing.
Peter C