LE JOG 2016

Club events that are going on around the world
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: LE JOG 2016

Post by clive »

Back in the dark ages when I learnt to drive it was the norm to only use sidelights in built up areas but then headlights were tungsten and not very bright. Cars also didn't have alternators, and dynamos were very poor at low revs so batteries didn't charge at slow speeds. Volvo and Saab introduced day running lights in the 70s and this used both front and rear lights which I don't understand why it's not the norm nowadays. Dim Dip headlights were also used in the 80s which turned the headlights on at a reduced brightness if you switched your sidelights on with the engine running. Again the rear lights would be on too.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

How times change. When I lived in London, '73-'78, nobody ever used headlamps. It was sidelights all the time at night, until you reached the outskirts where the street lighting was less good. Even the cops never used headlamps.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Volvo and Saab introduced day running lights in the 70s...
Yes, we used to love that - everyone I knew used to routinely flash the Scandicars - oy mate, yer've left yer lights on!
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Any tips you can provide Roger, from your regularity rallying experience?
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Never done a regularity, Colin - just checkpoint and Tulip rallies. I assume your friend has equipped the car with whatever odometer is allowed in the regs and the relevant timing gear. Do you have to plot within the time limit, is it tulips? Have a look at Don Barrow's website for the clever stuff.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

It's many decades since I did timed road rallies, but if you don't get the route until the stage start then at least get the driver to start driving immediately. Give him the first two or three junctions whilst you continue to plot as fast as you can. Any movement in the correct direction is better than standing still while you plot. I can assure you that maintaining a 30mph average from a starting start and with new route instructions is flipping difficult.

If it's a pre plot event and with regularity speed checks ( which I haven't competed in ) then you definitely need a Halda to get each section correct. You will need to embark on numerous calculations to know when you should be at certain points.
E.g not a flat out blast.

You wil need to be very organised in a small space. I suggest a practise around local roads with your driver the get the liaison between you correct. Just knowing where you are going to store your navigation tools is important.
It will help to enjoy the main event rather than jumping in at the deep end and getting irritated at little errors between you both.
It's more intense at night!
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:It's many decades since I did timed road rallies, but if you don't get the route until the stage start then at least get the driver to start driving immediately. Give him the first two or three junctions whilst you continue to plot as fast as you can. Any movement in the correct direction is better than standing still while you plot. I can assure you that maintaining a 30mph average from a starting start and with new route instructions is flipping difficult.

If it's a pre plot event and with regularity speed checks ( which I haven't competed in ) then you definitely need a Halda to get each section correct. You will need to embark on numerous calculations to know when you should be at certain points.
E.g not a flat out blast.

You wil need to be very organised in a small space. I suggest a practise around local roads with your driver the get the liaison between you correct. Just knowing where you are going to store your navigation tools is important.
It will help to enjoy the main event rather than jumping in at the deep end and getting irritated at little errors between you both.
It's more intense at night!
Peter C
Indeed so - I did do a few of those with the CUAC, including some 12-car events. The added complication these days is that you have to have the correct 'Halda' for the regs you are running in! Some events only allow clockwork originals, which are incredibly expensive. We use Brantz International 2s, which are only £2-300 and very easy to use with a remote trip button. Mustang and Mini have one built in - I've even made a spare glovebox door for the Cobra with one mounted on it. Keeps the navigator happy, which in my case is very important...

I should point out all the rallies mentioned above were 12-cars or scatters, as said earlier I've not done a regularity since the early seventies. I suspect they've changed since then.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions, very helpful. Having spent time on the HERO stand at the NEC, I know a lot more than I did.

Apparently there are various map types in use during the event: tulip, spot height, London rally, to name but a few. We're also given waypoints as Landranger coordinates. Very exciting. 1200 miles in total. There are also 25 auto tests round cones on waste ground throughout the 3 days.

We are allowed a mechanical trip, ours is a Brantz Pro3, and no GPS whatsoever.
Day 1 (Sat 3rd Dec) Lands End to Chester. 16 hours with a 2 hr break to plot the second leg.
Day 2 Chester to Gretna. Only 12 hours, with 6 hours sleep!
Day 3 Gretna to Fort William. Last day and a half is two legs back to back, 18 hours driving!
Last day Fort William to John O Groats. Arrive mid morning on the Tuesday. Awards dinner on Tue eve, if I can stay awake! :lol:
Last edited by Colin Newbold on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sounds like you will be needing plenty of full strength coffee and a few cans of Red Bull
Peter C
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Indeed Peter! And Pro-Plus too!