LE JOG 2016

Club events that are going on around the world
Old Boy Racer

Re: LE JOG 2016

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Colin - thanks for the offer but I think I prefer the more genteel and relaxed way of touring with my friend Andrew who you met on the MM a few years back. We've even coined our own word to describe it - BUMBELARE (Verb, Italian, to drive an old open car, prone to break down at any time, slowly, in all weathers and usually totally lost). This of course is done with the minimum of planning. Our friends who entered the GP Nuvolari last year skipped breakfast and spent hours with route books while we relaxed over a coffee and croissant confident that our much used all purpose Euro route map would suffice. True to form, one of them took at wrong turn at the first roundabout and we never saw him again until dinner that evening. Following crowds and "proper" competitors is much more relaxing. Well, apart from the lunatic in the Aurelia who would scoot off past everything scattering pedestrians and then mysteriously reappear in the rear view mirror an hour later. He did this a few times. You weren't navigating by any chance were you? We also had the pleasure of burbling by a Testa Rossa with the bonnet up a couple of times.

I think David Large did the Irish Gordon Bennett route in the summer which we also did. Good signposts up everywhere along with key points of interest indicated to stop and take pics. Mind you, it did P*ss with rain every day so the waterproofs were essential - especially with no mudguards, top, or anything else very much. Here's a tip if any of you fancy doing it taking in some other sights along the way. The Wild Atlantic Way has a clue in the title as to what weather to expect. After wrapping the car up one night, we got a cab to a fish restaurant a couple of miles away on the coast and when I got out I thought he'd dropped us off in a car wash. I asked what it was like in winter. His reply was priceless. Like this but with more rain.

Passive, Aggressive. Gosh. I spent the best part of 8 years early in my career having all that stuff taught to me at Management Centre Europe, MIT, Babson College MA and INSEAD Fontainebleu so I had to go and have a rest at the memory of it. There are benefits to being retired. Getting soaked to the skin in old cars is just one of them. Not sure what the others are but then I am old.

R
Colin Newbold

Re: LE JOG 2016

Post by Colin Newbold »

Official video of the event just released. Brings it all back... the highs as well as the lows :cry:

https://youtu.be/J2q-TLwx0n0
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"