LE JOG 2016

Club events that are going on around the world
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: LE JOG 2016

Post by clive »

I have driven cars fitted with winter tyres many times and do realise the slight benefit when temperatures drop below 7 degrees where they become more effective than standard tyres. However when it does get cold here I adapt my driving to the conditions and allow greater distance between myself and the car in front. I realise that it is almost impossible to do that down south as you all drive so close together and if you leave a space someone fills it. :?

It also amuses us up here when we see on the news that there has been a dusting of snow in London and the country grinds to a halt. :D
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive you are so right,
The SE is the most crowded part of the country. Plus a number of people who drive having left their brains at home.
You know the sort who own grey cars and drive in fog without lights. Need I say more!
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

A common sight up here now is new cars driving in the gloaming with no lights on. The fact that they have day running lights on the front and the instruments are lit makes them think the rear lights are on too.
Cheers, Clive.

Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Don't get me started on that one Clive. And when they do eventually find the light switch, the rear fog lights are still on from the last time they switched the lights on so they drive around with either no lights or with rear fog lights. Grrrrrr!! :x

Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

...and while I'm on the subject of lights, see what you've done Cive :wink: , why do car manufacturers design cars so that you can drive around with side-lights on. There are no circumstances in the UK under which you should drive with only side lights. They are utterly useless, but I guess that particular issue has been sorted by the aforementioned daytime running lights.

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Back in the dark ages when I learnt to drive it was the norm to only use sidelights in built up areas but then headlights were tungsten and not very bright. Cars also didn't have alternators, and dynamos were very poor at low revs so batteries didn't charge at slow speeds. Volvo and Saab introduced day running lights in the 70s and this used both front and rear lights which I don't understand why it's not the norm nowadays. Dim Dip headlights were also used in the 80s which turned the headlights on at a reduced brightness if you switched your sidelights on with the engine running. Again the rear lights would be on too.
Cheers, Clive.

Roger King

Post by Roger King »

How times change. When I lived in London, '73-'78, nobody ever used headlamps. It was sidelights all the time at night, until you reached the outskirts where the street lighting was less good. Even the cops never used headlamps.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Volvo and Saab introduced day running lights in the 70s...
Yes, we used to love that - everyone I knew used to routinely flash the Scandicars - oy mate, yer've left yer lights on!
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Any tips you can provide Roger, from your regularity rallying experience?
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Never done a regularity, Colin - just checkpoint and Tulip rallies. I assume your friend has equipped the car with whatever odometer is allowed in the regs and the relevant timing gear. Do you have to plot within the time limit, is it tulips? Have a look at Don Barrow's website for the clever stuff.