Le Mans Classic Review

Club events that are going on around the world
Colin Newbold

Le Mans Classic Review

Post by Colin Newbold »

I'm sure others will be along to post their experiences soon but here's my two penniworth...

Took Nicky with me this year but she never once went to the circuit, preferring to hang out with Paul's wife Selina and Dave's wife Jo. Most of the time this was at the lovely gite they'd rented through Bill Telford's classic car touring club.

After an excellent lunch time session at the Hotel de France on Friday, most of the guys went to the circuit to explore the paddocks, walk around the village and watch some qualifying sessions. Some stayed at the circuit to see some night practice.

Henry Bevan and I were back there at 08:00 Sat for track laps which was the usual jamboree but worth doing anyway! We then visited my various race mates in their respective paddocks as the start time for the first race approached. Not good news for Malcolm Young's Cobra as the gearbox had seized in Qualifying and despite the mechanics' best efforts the entry was later withdrawn. Kevin Kivlochan's Ace had blown a head gasket in Quali, but I believe it was all fixed in time for the racing. We ended up on pit wall for Plateau 1, as one of my fellow MGB racers had switched to a 1934 Citroen, truly the slowest car on the circuit all weekend. Never mind... he was in! We later blagged our way into the Classic and Sports Car Hospitality suite above the pits :D

Sat night was spent at Les Hunadieres restaurant alongside the Mulsanne straight.

Had intended going back to the circuit on Sunday but was persuaded by Bill to stage a suedo race shoot-out with GT-40s for a promo video shoot. This unfortunately put paid to my clutch and I would like to thank Alan Mann racing for trailering me back to the Chateau, whereupon a bunch of you helped to get it repaired. Problem was a fractured braided pipe from clutch reservoir to slave. It was duly fixed by my own race mechanics who were there supporting the Cob with the broken box and who seemed quite glad to be able to help, by driving down from the circuit with a replacement pipe, fluid, bleed bottle and then carrying out the work in a barn at the Chateau. I'm very grateful to AJ Barnard Engineering plus all those fellow 289ers who lent both physical and moral support - much appreciated guys :D

I'm pleased to report that the journey home passed without drama. All in all, a great time was had by all. Thank you Bill.
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Re: Le Mans Classic Review

Post by Paul Blore »

We're still here until Friday, so we're taking the opportunity to relax and recuperate. It's been a good weekend, although I've actually only spent 1.5 hours at the circuit.
Had a great drive on Friday morning along with Colin and Nicky in their 289 and Nigel Hulme and his son Oliver in their Daytona Coupe. :twisted:
I hope everyone else got back home safe and I'll hopefully see you at Silverstone in a couple of weeks.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hi all,

Just got back in the trusty 'stang, no dramas and a nice leisurely and scenic trip up to Dieppe with David Large and Allan Parsons yesterday. The usual mindless thrash up from Newhaven on Britain's revoltingly packed motorways this morning - Cambridge in time for breakfast.

Thanks to all for the usual good company, generosity and sheer top-quality companionship. Thanks in particular to the gîte folk for their hospitality. This year's was as great a trip as it ever is, and this time with added weather! Glad to see Colin got back OK - hopefully Chris and Yvonne did too (tough, these old Mustangs), and I'm hoping someone has good news of Byron, Val and Henry given the misbehaving fuel system on their delightful MGA.

Hoping my hearing will return to relative normality in the usual 4-5 day period, although got to get ready for Sliversnot now so it'll probably only be temporary.

Roger (& Morag)

Forgot to mention - hope Paul gets back OK after radiatorgate!
David Large

Post by David Large »

Alan & I had a good weekend with a mix of good racing and good food.arrived home at 8/30am today following an uneventful but nice trip. Thanks to all.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

As with prior posts, Nicky and I had a fab time meeting old friends and making some great new ones too. Not much time spent at the circuit in the end but a great few days none the less. Weather was incredible for the duration though did get drenched once we hit the uk on return!

A huge thanks must go to Paul B for bringing a spare fuel pump which was needed in the end, and a massive thanks to Roger for scrabbling in the dust to fit it for me. Couldn't get him out from under the car if I tried :wink:

Looking forward to catching up with you all again soon.

Dave & Nicky.

Post by chriskcode »

Well we got back a little earlier than planned on Tuesday tea time, 800 mike round trip in the mustang and save do about 2L of ATF in the steering,the old girl never missed a beat, tough old birds Mustang's, as Roger has said.

Weather was fantastic, we spent a few hours at the circuit on Saturday including watching night racing for about 3hrs which was brilliant, so much to see, but not enough time to do it in.

Thank you to everyone for their company, Yvonne and I really Catching up and chatting. These events are no doubt great from a motoring/racing respective, but it's the old and new friends, great company etc , that really make it, thank you all :D

Chris and Yvonne.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Gents

We were delighted to look after you all again this weekend and pleased that you all had such a good time and got home safely.

There are plenty of photos of the weekend on our Facebook page and there is also a lot of PRO video footage to follow soon.
https://www.facebook.com/ClassicCarTours/

As you know Ford of Europe supported us this year with a current Ford GT race car and a genuine black GT40 for our lunch at Hotel de France.
There is also some EPIC footage from the Ford camera car on the Friday evening at the circuit and also the CCT camera car on our "Sunday Service" outing as mentioned by Colin.

Glad you all had such a good time and look forward to seeing you at Silverstone where we can enjoy a few beers together :wink:

Bill
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Arrived back home in the early hours of this morning after and enjoyable but uneventful journey. I changed into top gear shortly after leaving the port at Newhaven and didn't change gear until I was 2 miles from home in Leicestershire and it isn't very often you can do that on a journey that includes the M25 and M1.

We had a terrific time away, although I only actually spent 1.5 hours at the circuit.

The Cobra didn't miss a beat, although we did have to pull out the radiator on Saturday morning to fix a small hole that had been caused by the steel braided oiler cooler lines rubbing against it for the past 8 years.

Already looking forward to 2018, but I hope to see most of you again at Silverstone in a couple of weeks.

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Very disappointing to hear that the ACOC`s massive Ace at Le Mans banner was stolen over the weekend, please share the message in the hopes that it might be recovered...this is not what we enthusiasts expect to happen at an event like this. :evil:
I`ve TWEETED this to the official LMC Twitter feed.

Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That's a real shame. There were plenty of signs around stating that anyone caught taking any signage would be dealt with.

The ACOC pitch is in a pretty horrible location and has been every year that I can recall. It is very close to the track, but it is in a pinch point for spectators walking past the Dunlop bridge and is either really dusty or really muddy, depending on the weather. This year that cars were covered in a thick layer of dust.

Why is there a Renault Spyder amongst the AC's? :?

Paul