Cars to the Claydons

Club events that are going on around the world
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Cars to the Claydons

Post by peterc »

Totally agree with David's comments. Good event and well organised with accurate mileages. The odd tenth of a mile error crept in and then corrected back to the Road book numbers. Surprised my speedo agreed so closely. Despite buying a new OS map we didn't need it as the road book sufficed.

Yes, a rather cold start at 7.00 which was an hour later than David and Denise. Curiously the thermostat didn't like the early start and ran at 97 C all the way to Stokenchurch where we stopped for fuel ready for the start at Chinnor. It then thankfully behaved itself the remainder of the day even dropping to 77 C at one stage. Weird.

We were all allocated departure times with only a minute between each of us three 289's , so we tried to follow within sight of each other. Didn't always work!. I did witness Andy checking his ability to accelerate on a few occasions where the road permitted. Yes, left me well behind. I'm sure that the fuel gauge must have moved a fair bit.

There were a few interesting cars on display in the Clayton House gardens including a Bentley 6.2 type T. An open wheeled formular looking car for those that didn't know, including me. The only one of its kind raced in the '70's.

Variety was probably the theme. Lightweight E type, D type but also a Audi LMP1 Le Mans car and S1 Audi Quattro.
My overall impression was that without the 40 odd cars that arrived from our tour they would have been a bit thin on the ground considering they were expecting the public to pay an extra £5 on top of the normal £5 to view the gardens and house.

Wonderful weather made the day complete.
Looking forward to another.
Peter C