amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Drive-It Day - Three Counties Tour, 25th April

Post by amulheirn »

driveitday.png
driveitday.png (47.76 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Dear all,

Please join us on the 25th April for Drive-It Day on the 25th April, when we will be doing a three-counties tour touching Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex (see the attached overview map). We’ll be starting with coffee, then lunch, followed by ice-cream and finally a view over Goodwood. Join us for the whole tour or any part of it or even just meet us at one of the stops. It is scheduled so that you will know where we are at various approximate times of the day.

This is an opportunity to run your cars after all the improvements that you have made during lockdown. Bringing a 289 is not compulsory - you’re most welcome in any vehicle if you are still building yours, or if you simply want to meet and chat to club members.

Rally Plaque
If you wish to purchase a Drive-it-Day plaque from FBHVC in support of Childline you can do so here.

Route
More detailed maps will be made available nearer the time - keep an eye on the Forum posting here, or contact us by email. If you don't know us, our photos are below so you can recognise us at the meeting points.

Overview map and meeting points with timings:
t289r drive it day route.png
Meeting points:
Meet 1 (start): 11am, Cassandras Cup, The Hollies, Winchester Rd, Chawton, Alton GU34 1SB
Meet 2 (lunch): Bring sandwiches to eat on the green outside The Barley Mow, Tilford, Farnham GU10 2BU
Meet 3 (ice cream): Dylan's Ice Cream, 1 Junction Pl, Haslemere GU27 1LE
Meet 4 (chat): Trundle Car Park, Chalkpit Ln, Chichester PO18 0SP
Meet 5 (finish): Cassandras Cup, The Hollies, Winchester Rd, Chawton, Alton GU34 1SB

Please let us know what you would like to do so that we are prepared for stops that may have more than 6 people which will need organizing. You can find our contact details in the Member Directory, or simply reply here.

We look forward to seeing lots of you somewhere on the route.

Ian Millar and Andy Mulheirn
The 289 Register South Region
ian.jpg
andy.jpg
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Drive-It Day - Three Counties Tour, 25th April

Post by amulheirn »

We now have 7 cobras on registered to come on this trip! Please let us know if you are coming.

Bring sandwiches to eat on the green at Tilford. The pub there is open for beer and they have a garden, but we will have to sit in groups of six to comply with the rules. And of course eating sandwiches in the pub garden probably isn't the done thing...

Route Details:

This isn't an organised rally as such with a route book. Please appraise yourself of the route information below and be prepared to navigate yourself if you become detached from the group. I've tried to use technology to make this easier for us all:

For TomTom users, I have put the route onto TomTom Roadtrips:
https://mydrive.tomtom.com/gor-webapp/s ... 2%7D+ver=3

I believe you can sync this to a compatible TomTom device, but not a TomTom Go app on iPhone/Android. I don't have a TomTom so if someone can try this for me that would be much appreciated. For anyone who can't sync this route to their TomTom, I am attaching a GPX file you may be able to import to your device.

For Google Map users, here is a shared map. I have also attached a KML file that you may be able to import. Failing that, email me your phone number and I can text you the route:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit? ... sp=sharing

Please note: the TomTom route and the Google routes are slightly different due to the way they do their maps. I have spent a few frustrated hours trying to make the two identical, and have not quite succeeded. The Google route is probably faster and includes a bit more A31, while the TomTom route is set to 'Thrill' mode rather than 'Fast' mode, and might be more scenic. Don't worry - the meeting points are all the same.

----
TomTom GPX File:
T289R_Three_Counties_Route_for_Drive-It_Day_2021.gpx
(115.23 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Google KML File:
Drive-It Day - T289R 3 Counties Route.kml
(94.77 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Just a quick note to let you know that midday tomorrow is the last date you can order a Drive It Day rally plate and reasonably expect the postal service to get it to you in time for Sunday. The profits from this go to Childline. Purchase yours here if you want to: http://www.driveitday.co.uk/shop
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Route Update:
Basically what route you take on Sunday is up to you really - a 10-car convoy is not really manageable or enjoyable, so please make sure you are appraised of the meeting places and how to get between them.

That said, I’ve tried to make it easy (haha - such is the promise of technology). We have made a couple of minor changes to the route to take out some less desirable bits of road. Now the route goes past the Goodwood racecourse and via East Lavant instead of backtracking after Trundle Car Park in Chalkpit Lane. It also goes via Petersfield and the A32 instead of a section of A3.

The updated routes are here below:

TomTom Roadtrips:
https://mydrive.tomtom.com/gor-webapp/s ... 2%7D+ver=3

Google Maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0318279 ... authuser=1

Let me know if you need me to text you with the Google route. (I’ve not updated the download files on the forum but can do if you plan to use those. Let me know if you need that doing). As long as we all know where and when the stops are, I’m sure this will be a great day out. Just got to make sure my cap doesn’t blow off my head on the A31.

Covid-19:
Most of us may have had a vaccination or two and feel more confident, but please try to keep to these rules as best you can:

- The rule of six applies. That means six people in a group maximum, outside.
- Masks are optional outside, but are mandatory inside if you need to use a pub toilet for example.
- Social distancing is advised, even in the group of six - i.e. the 2-metre rule, no high-fives, hugging, arm-wrestling etc.

Here are the latest rules from the government if you need to check: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-co ... -rule-of-6

Don’t forget your sandwiches, and please bring a camera so we can get some photos! Who knows, you may win the club photo competition this year….