Engine refuses to catch

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
PeterT

Engine refuses to catch

Post by PeterT »

I must first reiterate that I am non-mechanically minded and so far in the first 18 months of ownership of SRR 289F BRA-Cobra I have managed to sort brake cylinder and clutch master cylinder but have always got the car home. Not this time.
It started first time on Thursday, I switched on, the petrol pump ticked away for a few seconds, I pumped the throttle twice pressed the starter button and she fired first time. I reversed out of my garage ,turned her round and let her idle for a minute whilst I gathered ear plugs from the house and then drove out of my drive, turned right onto the track, changed into second and within a couple of beats the engine died.My first thought was fuel, I knew I was a little low so returned on foot to my house brought back 4 litres of petrol but that made no difference. Every time I pressed the starter it would turn over and fire once on all 8 and then ..nothing. The AA man said it could be the pump but I can hear it click a couple of times before trying to start the car. The pump was new anyway 18 months ago. The car is now back in my garage and short of getting it towed to my friendly service station I don't know what else to do. Suggestions please. Engine is Rover V8 with Holley Carb. Have to go to Middle East on Wednesday so can't do anything until I'm back next week.
Roger King

Re: Engine refuses to catch

Post by Roger King »

The usual things - take out a plug and lie it on top of the engine so it's earthed. Is there a decent spark when you turn it over? disconnect the fuel line and check fuel's coming out when you switch on. Sounds rather like you have crud in the fuel line. What kind of pump is it? SU pumps are notorious for sort of working, but only intermittently if the points are not in good nick. If it's a mechanical pump, you might have a problem with the diaphragm.
Last edited by Roger King on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Baxter

Post by James Baxter »

I agree - I fancy the fuel pump on this one. A bad earth perhaps? Is the pump still ticking after its died?
Have you a Filterking (filter/pressure regulator) with either metal or glass bowl? See if the bowl is empty after its just died.
Also intersted in all AC's, Frazer Nash, Pre-war cars
RUT220G

Post by RUT220G »

Another thought - is your choke still on? This might cause it to die!
Allan Tunstall
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

Gentlemen thank you for your thoughts and help. I will go away pondering on these matters whilst commentating on two Lord's Taverner's cricket matches taking place in the heat of Dubai. As soon as I return I will let you know what then transpires. In the meantime if you have any more thoughts please feel free to comment.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

To all those who replied with suggestions as to my engine "catching" problems, all was revealed and cured this morning. Fuel pump was checked and was OK but the spark to the plugs was minimal. Coil was OK too but we replaced the rotor arm in the distributor just in case. Just about to give up when I suggested to the nice AA man who was doing all this that we should check the immobiliser because the sound of the engine catching and then dieing immediately was exactly the same as the sound which happens when the immobiliser is swiched on. So the switch was removed, the wire joined together and the engine fired on all 8 immediately. Problem solved. Cost to someone non mechanically minded like me just a year's membership of the AA !
Thank you once again for all your suggestions. Peter T
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Now all you need is a new immobiliser. Glad you're on the move again.

Cheers

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Ah, now, you see - poor information.

Had we known you had an immobiliser (eh? On a Cobra?) we'd have identified your problem immediately.

Probably.