Front wheels

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: Front wheels

Post by Roger King »

I always use a copper/hide hammer on eared spinners, the hide end. I apply a serious gob of Castrol LM (don't think I'd want to use anti-seize on hub splines and spinners), and the weight should be off the wheel to allow it to seat (although the tyre gives enough usually). I have the car jacked up, but with the tyre still in enough contact with the ground to stop it turning. Then whack the bejazus out of the spinner - I mean, really wallop it until it's not moving. Watch old films of pit stops, the mechanics are using the full force of their arms to hit these things. The hide hammers last a surprisingly long time - they get mashed, but I get 3-4 years out of each one. And not the slightest scratch on the chrome.

I bought a bloody great aluminium spanner as an experiment:
http://www.ahspares.co.uk/products/prod ... UID=WHE181
...but I have to say I'm not convinced. Personally, I don't think you can beat the hide hammer.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Cheers for that. I've already got hammers that would make Thor feel inadequate!! Perhaps we could start a new thread "How big is your hammer?"
I did think about grease or copperslip and based on my experience with fan mounting bolts that have been running for years without coming undone with copperslip, I went for that.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

I use a Thor type hammer with screw on plastic faces. The white ones are very hard and hold up well. I can tell by the sound when they are tight.
I remember in the paddock at Snetterton once getting the hammer and giving each spinner one clonk before I went out first time. A couple of guys were pontificating about the car and said ' thats it ? ' I said yup, they were not convinced at all and I was sure they were waiting for me to come back without any wheels.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !