Powering the loom

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Powering the loom

Post by Dave Woodward »

Hi again,

I apologied in advance if this is a dumb question.

I am going through the Hawk wiring 'instructions' and can see nowhere where the +ve terminal hooks into the loom.

I understand that the -ve essentially hooks into the chassis and engine block, but cannot see which elements of the loom link to the +ve.

Looking at Rogers car at Silverstone, I could see that the +ve ran through the bulkhead and behind the dash but no more that that.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks.

Dave.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Dave
The negative terminal from the battery is usually connected to the engine mount bolt on the battery side of the engine. You will also need an earth strap to your engine from the chassis. (This is normally a pleated wire available from Halfords etc in various lengths)
The positive side routes from the positive terminal on the battery to the large terminal on the starter motor, (I have routed this wire from the battery through the bulkhead behind the dash and back into the engine bay on the starter side of the transmission tunnel ) and then through the brown wire to the ignition switch.
As far as your starter motor wiring is concerned, I have a Racemettle ( http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk ) lightweight high performance starter that only has the two wires.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Clive,

Thats great. Really clear.

Thanks.
RUT220G

Post by RUT220G »

The brown wires that connect to the starter motor on the same terminal as the +ve from the battery, power the loom. (Browns are constant UNFUSED live)

I have fitted two earth straps to my car on each set of engine mounting bolts. This is not essential, however, as most problems with car electrics are caused by bad earths I decided two were better than one. Also as most current is taken from the battery during starting a good earth is essential to get the car started.
Allan Tunstall