Smelly boot!!!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Smelly boot!!!

Post by nikbj68 »

peterc wrote:... I'm sure that it shouldn't have a N/R valve on it as this will prevent the tank from maintaining atmospheric pressure...
Without a non-return valve, filling mine to nearly full resulted in puddles of petrol on th forecourt!!! :oops: I recently fitted an inline valve, but I think it's faulty as it doesn't fully close, resulting in smaller puddles on the forecourt!! :oops: :oops: the outlet for the vent is about an inch below the top of the tank on the N/S, So now I have plugged the overflow pipe. My filler cap is vented, so pressure equalisation is not a problem. :)
What type of filler cap do you have?
Last edited by nikbj68 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

The non-return valve is an SVA/IVA requirement to seal the vent pipe in the event the car turns over, so fuel does not escape from the vent pipe.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

BRA's have no vent in the tank so it's in the cap. I put the fuel pump outside of the boot. My plan is rubber neck hose and reseal fuel sender. One problem is flange buts up against fibre glass so that seal may be a problem too, neck hose has to be 2 1/2".
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nik,
My tank vent connection is as high as is practical on the side. The vent in the cap was soldered up at Gerry's suggestion because my filler cap position is as per the FIA so becomes inside when the hood is fitted. There was no mention of a vent N/R valve being needed when my car was SVA'd. I have never ever spilt any fuel when filling up. It's easy to look down into the filler hole to see where the level is and stop filling before it comes up the neck which on the FIA tank is a little lower than the mid positioned fillers.
Alan,
I have boxed my pump in to keep the road dirt away. The first fuel filet is in the pump body and second is in the fuel pressure regulator.
Hopefully those who have now changed from silicone to the correct grade of rubber will now notice the reduction in smells.
Peter C
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

I have one as well - I thought it was part of the character and charm.....