Smelly boot!!!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peter street

Re: Smelly boot!!!

Post by peter street »

I have just replaced the sender in my tank and changed out my silicone neck hose for a rubber one from Demon Tweeks: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... -neck-hose. Now I have no petrol smell in the boot.
So I guess there is no right or wrong way of combating the smelly boot! I just think that the silicone hose, being more rigid than the rubber, doesn't tighten up as well with the jubilee clips, the rubber has more give in it and seals better onto the neck.
Anyway I'm a very happy bunny now because, after three years of guessing and carrying a can in the boot, I've now got a fuel gauge that tells me how much juice I've got in the tank......might try a gearbox rebuild next..!!!
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

I have the same problem with my BRA. Thought it was facet fuel pump so mounted outside of boot. But have silicone neck hose as old rubber was not smooth inside think it had wire spirals. Maybe I'll try your rubber hose.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

allan horsfall wrote:...I am more likely to get excited by the smell of Channel No.5 than 97 octane.

Allan
Not a true petrolhead then :roll:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Petrol's fine but not in my boot !

Took it out yesterday for a test run on a private road seemed to want to go fast pulled back in the drive and it ran out of petrol ! Bit lucky. Now to fix the fuel gauge.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Silicone hose should not be used in fuel applications. Samco make a special fuel and oil silicone hose with a fluorosilicone liner, but even for this they recommend short term contact only and state that it is not suitable for permanent fuel transfer, which includes fuel filler hose in my book (unless you run your tank half full all the time!). Modern high ethanol levels will exacerbate the problem.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Mine is a Gates silicon, whoever I bought it from years ago said it was ok. My car is a BRA so the tank filler neck is 2 1/2" ID just trying to locate some more suitable rubber of that size.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I drastically reduced the smell of fuel in the boot by moving the pump below the floor. Like other Hawk's mine has the tank vent pipe starting on the top nearside and exiting the boot area on the offside. I'm sure that it shouldn't have a N/R valve on it as this will prevent the tank from maintaining atmospheric pressure. My fuel outlet has a short loop with an isolating valve before exiting through the floor to the pump. I think that Barry is correct the the more piping that you have in the boot the more smell there would be. This is based on me being informed that modern fuels can leach through the hose!
I only get a slight smell now if the boot hasn't been opened for several weeks.
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

My pumps are inside the boot:

Paul
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

One for each engine?