Smelly boot!!!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Smelly boot!!!

Post by Dave Woodward »

Roger, I am very happy to report that I have the nose of a bloodhound and am often called upon by the wife to find the source of suspicious smells around the house - gas, cat pee, you get the general idea.

Baz, I would have thought that if we are able to run fuel and water systems under pressure with jubilee clips, we should be able to hold back a little odour with the same shouldn't we?

My setup is exactly as described by Allan and as I say I suffer with no unpleasant fuel smells.

The only time I would say I detect any smell at all is just after refuelling, which again leads me to think about the fuel filler hose connection. Clive's thoughts make a lot of sense.

Allan, not withstanding Clive's thoughts, is the hose tight around the filler cap and fuel tank connections or does it rely on the jubilee clips to compress onto the fixtures. This may result in a less than perfect seal.

Dave.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I'm not convinced by Barry's suggestion I'm afraid and Clive's idea sounds more likely to me. Dave, what material is your filler hose made of, rubber, silicon, something else?

What about the cork gasket around the sender unit? Is that another potential culprit for allowing vapour through?

Paul
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Heavy gauge rubber. I will check when I get my car back but I'm sure its not silicone.

Dave.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It's an old car (in design and material terms, at least). All my old cars smell of petrol - the Mustang's boot is worse than the Cobra's, and the Mini has double the smell, probably down to double the number of tanks.
I'd say that we've all got used to clinically-non-smelly modern cars, and with the 'fun' stuff we're getting a bit of old-fashioned reality back again.
Whatever it is, I wouldn't worry about it (I don't) unless, of course, it's got noticeably worse, is seriously pungent and there's likely to be a risk of fire.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Guys,

I'm going to try Clive,s idea of changing the filler hose to silicon tubing and then I'll fit it with doubled up Hose clips. (Which is what we do with sea-cock fittings on the boat). I'll report back on the results next week.
SWMO will be pleased if it works, as I cant see her putting clothes in a smelly boot for a weekend!!

Allan
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I have just had a quick look at the Merlin Motorsport cataloge http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/brochure.php and it suggests that silicone is not suitable for fuel. They do, however, supply fuel hose that might be suitable (Page 39) Perhaps worth a phone call.
Migge

Post by Migge »

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... icone-hose

Fluorosilicone Liner To Allow Fuel & Oil Contact

I have had a silicone filler neck on my Magnum for 9 years without any problems and no smell in the boot either.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Petrol smell's authentic, for the true anorak...
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger King wrote:Petrol smell's authentic, for the true anorak...
I`ll second that.... :lol:
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote:Petrol smell's authentic, for the true anorak...
Especially if you keep your anorak in the boot of a Hawk! :P