Chassis corrosion

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
chrisb

Chassis corrosion

Post by chrisb »

I have used Kurust and red oxide paint on rusty chassis in the past with success but are there any new products available now to use where the black coating is peeling from the steel frame?
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Chris

I have had some flaking too. Have used smooth Hammeright, which does the job. However you could look at Frost http://www.frost.co.uk 01706 658619 , they have every kind of paint you can imagine.
How old is you car / chasis as a matter of interest.

regards

Bill Telford :D
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Thanks Bill for your reply. Chassis no. is 97083 and new in April 1996 I think. A local spray shop suggested the aerosol smooth Hammerite too so I will give it a try.
Chris Baughan.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Chris

As far as I know the first two numbers = the year of manufacture, mine being 95047, which makes mine a 1995, so I think yours is a 1997.

regards

Bill Telford :idea:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hmm.
Slightly worrying - correctly processed powdercoating shouldn't flake off (unless clobbered hard and chipped). It's electrolytically bonded to the metal.

Roger
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Roger

Flaking has happened on chasis rails where bolts come through at point where dash board mounts to chasis. Also some flaking at front & rear suspension mountings.

regards

Bill Telford :(
Martin

Post by Martin »

Gents,
(slightly) Off topic, but where can I find the chassisnumber on a Hawk?
I bought the Le Mans that was advertised on this site till recently and I now need to show the original chassis number to the Dutch SVA authorities for local registration purposes.
I found the number stamped in the aluminium lining of the engine bay, but that doesn't look genuine (the number doesn't, the lining does). I just hope it's not underneath...
Thanks in advance,
Martin Sterkman
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

Martin,

The chassis number is near the front on the passanger side, look down past the king filter and you will see it on the 4" chassis tubing.

The chassis number that is on the alu, is correct. Why, because I put it on the alu :lol:

Give me a shout if you need anything else

Thanks

john.
Martin

Post by Martin »

John,
Many thanks. I was trying to locate the number on the chassis, in addition to the aluminium sheet. I know the number is correct, it matched the V5C! :wink:
Thanks for the offer, but I'll brush up my English before posting further questions!
Regards, Martin