Grease for MGB hub splines?

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Grease for MGB hub splines?

Post by JohnO »

Another dumb question I'm afraid...

Should I use Copaslip on the hub splines of my Hawk FIA, or something else? Opinions on various on-line forums I've looked at seems to be somewhat divided! Some even recommend it for spinners and wheel nuts, others say that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks,
John O.
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
Wynterburne

Re: Grease for MGB hub splines?

Post by Wynterburne »

Have always used grease on my splines, or rather the Hawks. It also worked on Ferrari for the years I was there and we used to have Coppaslip by the ton - but never on splines.

Not sure what disaster is waiting to happen if you use Coppaslip but what I have learnt from all these forums is that you should never put oil in an engine, gearbox or axle, anti-freeze will be a disaster of its own, as for petrol that should be left out too, brake fluid can be tricky and there is a debate now raging on air in tyres. In fact, it is best to jack it up in the garage and leave it well alone!

Regards
Richard
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Castrol LM.
Copaslip, or any other copper-based grease, is intended for anti-sieze requirements. Not for splines. Moving splines, such as in driveshafts or propshafts, should get moly/graphite for preference.
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by JohnO »

Many thanks folks - I have a big tnub of castrol LM. I'll put it to good use!
John
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

JohnO wrote:Many thanks folks - I have a big tnub of castrol LM. I'll put it to good use!
John
It's almost the only grease you'll need. I think they call it something else, now... multi-purpose? Something like that.

Don't forget, Copaslip (or other makes) is NOT a lubricant.