FIA bonnet cutout

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

FIA bonnet cutout

Post by peterc »

Hi guys.
Has anyone got a photo of the cutout shape inside the 289FIA bonnet before the bulge is riveted on to show any radii between the sides and the ends.
I know a lot were just welded on and blended in but some must have been riveted over a hole otherwise Gerry wouldn't have bothered to put the ridge around the bulge.
Having been forced to repaint the inside of the bonnet as the paint blistered ! I am now creating a suitable ridge to replicate the edge of the original bonnet material alongside the line of rivets thus making it look a little more like the bulge really is a separate part.
PeterC
Migge

Re: FIA bonnet cutout

Post by Migge »

Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Migge
I've gone through a fair number of pages of photos on that web site but they all seem to be taken from the outside and mostly non original cars.
No one is usually interested in photographing the underside of a bonnet ( why would they? )
I'll keep hoping to find something or just make it up to look OK
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

You just have to scroll down, there it is
Migge

Post by Migge »

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Migge
Thanks, I have now seen the Kirkham Ali bonnet photo
Looks like scoop is welded in and hole that it covers is square cut both ends so I guess that makes my life easier that I can leave the front end square cut as supplied by Gerry
I've already given the rear edge a curve to match the outside curve due to the position of existing rivets

So it's onwards with more filling and flattening to get a suitable surface to paint onto without using the rubberised antichip paint which I think caused all the blistering.
Thanks again
Peter C
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Hi Peter
Here is a link to a picture of the inside of the bonnet of CSX2345 - the only original unrestored FIA left.
http://www.shelbyamericancollection.org ... 45emed.jpg
More pics at http://www.shelbyamericancollection.org

Andy
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks guys
Looks like I shouldn't really have any rivets as these examples are all welded /blended in, however they do seem to have a sharp edge along the sides so I'm on the right track to adding a bit more authenticity for when the bonnet is open.

The rubbing down and filling is getting a bit tedious now but it's starting to look better.
Peter C
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The 289 FIA bonnet scoops were welded and blended with no rivets. The scoops on the 427 Race and S/C cobras were GRP and riveted onto the top face of the bonnet. Many of them (427) also had rivets around the front edge of the bonnet to hold the skin down onto the tubular frame.

Paul