Migge

Re: R380 Gearbox

Post by Migge »

Special customized BRA289
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Migge,

The 'tiscali' pictures show the problem clearly, look at the second and last pictures. The bottom of the boxes at the back end, is why the R380 wont fit the Hawk chassis.

Allan
Migge

Post by Migge »

That's what I wanted to say Allen. It's new for me too.
Special customized BRA289
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidA »

Everyone on here may already know that the right oil for an LT77 is important .Originally Rover specified an oil that was fine for the bearings but resulted in service complaints as it gummed up the synchromesh .They then went to the other extreme and specified automatic transmission fluid which meant easier gear changes and did nothing for bearing life-I recently changed to Difflock Evolution 1 fully synthetic and while it could be I am becoming slower in my moments the 'box does seem to work marginally better.Incidentally it was rebuilt 20 years and 25,000 miles ago by Hardy Engineering in Leatherhead - not sure if they still exist .Finally I am sure I've read elsewhere putting in an R380 is an easy swap - obviously it isn't .
DavidA
David Large

Post by David Large »

In 52,000 miles over 25 years I have had two problems (actually the same problem twice) with my LT77 'box.

When I had a new engine about 10 years ago I decided to have the box checked/rebuilt just as a precaution when it was all in bits. The box came bacjk with a clean bill of health and went back in the car. Six months later it failed, a circlip came off a shaft and it would only work in 5th gear. I sent it back to the guy who had overhauled it and he was most apologetic. He repaired it. Six months later it happened again. I rang him up and we had a row and then I sent the box to someone else. It has been fine ever since - touch wood! It works fine and is easy to use.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I thought of fitting this uprated box 14 years ago when I built my 4.6 ( circa 280 bhp ) but Gerry persuaded me not to on basis that they were too rare and spares would be difficult. I've had no problems with my LT77 apart from a slow change from 2nd to 3rd
I believe to fit this box will need cutting out and moving the g/box cross member
PeterC
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Picking up LT77 on monday. Its a fully rebuilt H spec box from TR Transmissions and we are doing a straight swop. I'll let you know how I get on with it.