R380 Gearbox

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall

R380 Gearbox

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen

As you may have guessed Im in the process of fitting a R380 into my Hawk (this winters job), It would be of great help if anyone could come up with a photo or description of the gearbox mounts, in particular how it mounts to the chassis whilst keeping the engine level?

Im sure someone must have already tackled this little problem.

Thanks
Allan
tasmin289

Re: R380 Gearbox

Post by tasmin289 »

Hi Allan; I assume you're replacing a LT77 gearbox? If so, my understanding is its a direct swap, so existing mounts should be OK. Also the SU carbs need to be level, not the engine. i.e. rear of rocker cover slightly lower than front. 3 degrees or 6 degrees seem to ring a bell??

Paul.S
tasmin289

Post by tasmin289 »

allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help, but being difficult its not a replacement for a LT77, its a 4 speed from a 3500S. The problem is the extra length of the R380 box, about 9", and I'm not familiar with the LT77 installation, so its not a direct swap, but if anyone with a LT77/R380 installation can describe it, I can take it from there.

Allan
tasmin289

Post by tasmin289 »

http://www.dwoodwar.demon.co.uk/Framese ... ameset.htm Some photos on this site, its a lt77 box though
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Thanks Paul,

I've seen Dave's stuff on here before but was unaware of that web site, really good, brilliant site Dave!
However although I also thought he box's were interchangable, I gather from Dave's site that they may not be, due to the extra length of the R380.
Can anyone confirm the boxes are interchangable!!!!!

Allan
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi guy's,

OK, I've given up and have ordered a rebuilt LT77 and done a deal with the R380 so it shouldnt be to costly.

All members building a Rover engined Hawk be aware the R380 GEARBOX DOES'NT FIT, its to long and wont go in without major chassis alterations.

Allan
Migge

Post by Migge »

?????

http://www.v8engines.com/transmission-3.htm

from these guys the following text passage:

The R380 (top photo) is a suburb transmission and should have no problems with power outputs well above 300bhp, and, as you can see, in terms of fitment is the same as the LT77 (bottom photo), making the conversion very simple, and the ideal choice for your Rover V8 application, with the additional advantage of the short Remote or std. remote fitment.
Special customized BRA289
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Migge,

Thats the message I was getting from pretty well all sources, however it is longer by about 35mm, trust me. More importantly unlike the LT77 the depth of the gearbox continues through its full length (excluding the prop flange) , so on the Hawk, it is not possible for it to fit in front of the chassis cross member. It therefore has to either be raised above the chassis or the main chassis cross brace has to be cut and altered. Additionally the gearbox mounting would need to be altered as the mounting point on the R380 is about 100cm further back than the LT77, which cant easily be done without the chassis alteration.

Allan
Migge

Post by Migge »

Well,

I always thought they were from the dimension identically but that's not true

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tlweb/tr7/ga ... arbox.html
Special customized BRA289