RE FITTING LEAF SPRINGS

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
richmixture

leaf springs

Post by richmixture »

Hi bill,

I could have healped you with the springs - I have not long done mine, trouble is I couldnt get up and running on the forum.

Ayway, glad you have that done with no problems, you should not have any problems with ride height unless you have changed the springs. the tension in new springs takes time to bed down and with the weight of the car takes some of the elipse out.

Did you put some copper grease in the spring shaft and up in the hanger where it bolts through, as you might get some sqeak from the bushes on the sides of the chassis
kris :o
Kris
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Kris

Yes, the correct "white" lubrication / grease was used when I re-fitted the springs, no squeaks so far. I think the car is sitting a little high just now due to the new Billstein shocks that are fitted. I'm sure they will bed in.
How is your build coming on, I am hoping to see "the beast" at Silverstone in July.

regards

Bill :)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

kaiserbilly1 wrote:I think the car is sitting a little high just now due to the new Billstein shocks that are fitted.
Sorry Bill, shocks will make no difference whatsoever to ride height. Unless they're bottomed out at rest, which is pretty unlikely!

Roger
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Roger

The Billsteins that I have fitted DO bottom out when off the car, so they are pushing away all the time. These are part of a front and rear kit by Moss. The front kit gets rid of the leaver arm too, and replaces with a proper wishbone. That has a Billstein shocker too that bottoms out also. I'm sure that once a few miles have been run that everything settle down.
I'll take a photo of the front kit and post it soon for you to see.

regards

Bill
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

kaiserbilly1 wrote:Hi Roger

The Billsteins that I have fitted DO bottom out when off the car, so they are pushing away all the time.
With the car sitting at rest, the dampers should be somewhere near the middle of their travel, or at least in the lower part of it. The spring alone affects the ride height.
Show me some pics.

Roger
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218 ... 0004-1.jpg

Hi Roger

I hope this link works, if it does you will be able see my new rear shock set up.

regards

Bill

PS, Clive thanks for your help with this, there will be no stoping me now !!
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218 ... Xr02A0.jpg

And here is how the front will look.

regards

Bill :D
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Bill, just been looking at the picture of your rear shocks and there doesn't appear to be enough travel on them. Are you sure they are not too long?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Clive

There is travel OK, but the rear shock has double bump stops on it.
I'm going to run for a while a see what happens. I may end up cutting the bump stop in half to give more travel, if you know what i mean.

regards

Bill