New to the Regiser

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
lozash

Re: New to the Regiser

Post by lozash »

David Large wrote:When I put my BRA 289 on the road in 1989, BFG tyres were definitely "de rigeur" for Cobras. Mine had no white lettering but all of the 427 brigade flaunted the BFG with big, bold white lettering.
I don't recall having any scary moments with the tyres but they fell out of favour because they stopped making some sizes. I had to switch makes as the size I was running was no longer available.
I guess it all depends what you want to do with your car.
In the last quarter of a century tyres have moved on and I agree that the Avons are superb.
HI David, seeing you've got around the same bhp,well a little bit more! I've just dug the dyno figures out and I've got about 220 bhp what 0/60 time would you be looking at? With lt77 and mgb diff, regards( just a rough idea)
David
David Large

Post by David Large »

Hi,

I have 235bhp and 250 ftlbs of torque from a 4 litre Rover built for me by David Ellis about 10 years ago. The figures are from a Dynamometer before the engine was installed in the car.
I have an LT77 gearbox and a 3.07:1 MGB GT diff. I have never run a 3.909 MGB diff. When we built the car originally we had a 3.7:1 (I think) MGC auto diff which was ok but 1st gear was still too low; I find the 3.07 diff really suits the car well although when we fitted it for the first few miles it seemed rather odd.

As to a 0-60 time, I really have no idea. I can just get 60mph in second gear so I will say I would expect it to be just over 6 secs - please don't anybody shout at me if you think I am wrong. I used to have a BMW 335d which was supposed to be 6 secs so I sort of recognise that. In the Cobra it does not really matter and the driver has a huge impact as there is no electronic control.

My Radical is supposed to do 0-60 in 3.4 secs, but we have lowered the final drive so it should be nearer 3 secs now. In the Radical it matters!

regards,

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
lozash

Post by lozash »

Thanks David, the radical is silly fast!!!, 6 seconds for the cobra is enough to have some good fun!, thanks for your feedback!
lozash

Post by lozash »

Valve covers and carb spacer trial fitted.
Last edited by lozash on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
lozash

Post by lozash »

lozash wrote:Image
A few cosmetics to finish, the air cleaner,dipstick and blue Ht leads????
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi,

Those HT leads look too short to me as they're being pulled around the oil filler cap. If you make them longer, you can also route them in a more attractive manner.

I'm not suggesting this is perfect, but it does show that a little more length in the leads can make for a neater layout.

Anywhere the leads come into contact with the engine is an opportunity for arcing. The leads should also be be separated from each other to prevent, or minimise the risk of induced sparking. This happens when the voltage in one lead induce a voltage and thereby a spark at the plug in an adjacent lead. Depending on where that piston is at the time, it can cause serious damage. You should use plug lead separators to minimise the risk.

Paul
lozash

Post by lozash »

Thanks Paul and yes definitely need longer leads, I will fit some rails I have seen them advertised somewhere, definitely black leads, your car looks well.
Regards Laurie
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Thank you. I don't have the disease as bad as Roger, but I definitely have it. :lol:

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

PaulB wrote:Thank you. I don't have the disease as bad as Roger, but I definitely have it. :lol:

Paul
Have you been talking to my wife?

Anyhow, I don't know the Rover firing order but cylinders 7 & 8 are critical for cross-firing in a sbf, and yours are very close for some length. Paul is quite right - use separators and clip to the top of the valve covers if there is provision for that.

Roger
lozash

Post by lozash »

Hi, thanks, I have just ordered fomoco separators.the picture is not the finished product :), I am looking for some good quality black leads with heatsheilds.
Regards Laurie