New to the Regiser

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
lozash

Re: New to the Regiser

Post by lozash »

HI, sorry about the poor picture quality, I have a oil catch tank based on the original, I have proof of engine age 1976.
Will the car.pass the Iva with this breather tank fitted?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

lozash wrote:Hi, thanks, I have just ordered fomoco separators.the picture is not the finished product :), I am looking for some good quality black leads with heatsheilds.
Regards Laurie
I like the Moroso 'Blue Max' spiral core leads, which are cut-to fit so you can get them exactly how you want. Despite the name they are also available in black.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote:
lozash wrote:Hi, thanks, I have just ordered fomoco separators.the picture is not the finished product :), I am looking for some good quality black leads with heatsheilds.
Regards Laurie
I like the Moroso 'Blue Max' spiral core leads, which are cut-to fit so you can get them exactly how you want. Despite the name they are also available in black.
Another fan of these. Very easy to cut and fit, especially with the proper crimping tool.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
lozash

Post by lozash »

Thanks for the advice, I've just ordered some!'!! :D
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I don't know how others do it, but my recommendation would be to make up all the lead connections for the distributor end of the leads and fit them all BEFORE cutting to length. Make sure you have them routing exactly as you want them and that all leads run nice and parallel using the separators. You can then start cutting them to length and fitting the plug end connection one at a time. If you want to be particularly fussy, you can also line up the writing on the leads. :)

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

PaulB wrote:I don't know how others do it, but my recommendation would be to make up all the lead connections for the distributor end of the leads and fit them all BEFORE cutting to length. Make sure you have them routing exactly as you want them and that all leads run nice and parallel using the separators. You can then start cutting them to length and fitting the plug end connection one at a time. If you want to be particularly fussy, you can also line up the writing on the leads. :)

Paul
The Morosos come with the plug end moulded on already, you only cut and fit the distributor end. I favour the 45° plug boot, but that's for the Ford - I don't know which would work best with the Rover.
lozash

Post by lozash »

Thanks for the info, everything ordered!
Here's an oil catch tank that has been made to fit on the bulkhead, I may grit my teeth and paint it black like the original that I believe was made from a lawnmower fuel tank, although it seems a shame. The engine has been set up to run an open breather system and I have proof of age which is 1976!, I am wondering if this would pass the IVA?, as you can see the build is now creeping into my house! :shock:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Two open breathers? Or breather one side and PCV the other? What carb are you running?
lozash

Post by lozash »

Hi, I'm running a edelbrock 500 and the info I was given is to just run straight to a catch tank, the engine was built and set up by John Eales who is well respected in the engine building universe, there was just a hose fitting on each of the Rover covers. I would double check with him but fitting aftermarket/custom products to is engines is not looked upon very favourably :evil:, saying that, the breathers caps and new covers I have fitted are no different to the original set up, you can just see the open fittings on the engine.
David Large

Post by David Large »

I have an Edelbock 500 too.

When my engine was built by David Ellis (who I believe worked with John Eales some years ago) he told me to link the two rocker cover breathers together and vent them to atmosphere through a catch tank.
I know there is a lot on here about PCV valves, but I did as the engine builder said. I am not aware of any downsides.

Lozash, your engine looks very similar to mine, athough the manifolds look better, mine uses the block hugging MGB GT V8 manifolds. I don't know where you are in the country but if you want to look at anything on my car you are welcome to do that.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!