MGB REAR AXLE 4 LINK + PANHARD ROD

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
CobStang

MGB REAR AXLE 4 LINK + PANHARD ROD

Post by CobStang »

I found this which will interest the people asking about my own rear axle set up, it is for an MGB but is basically what I have although my pickup points are welded to the axle at the top and use a combined damper and link pickup on the bottom. I will take pics of my own and update this thread, but at the moment am busy on other things.

http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/pr ... ension.pdf
Mark
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
David Large

Re: MGB REAR AXLE 4 LINK + PANHARD ROD

Post by David Large »

Mark,

A very interesting piece.

Having read it I e mailed them to ask about fitting this kit to a BRA 289. They replied that they had never done it but they had fitted it to an NG kit car with very minor modifications.

I have said I will meet them on their stand at the London Classic Show on Friday.

I don't know that I really need this kit but it might be a good idea.

Thanks,

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

David - spoke to Mark yesterday while we had my BRA up on the ramp for a once over and he says his version of this set up transformed his car. Have a word with him about exactly how if you do decide to consider it seriously. I know he is at the London show today delivering an ASM DBR1 but don't think he's there for the duration of the show.

Robin
Last edited by Old Boy Racer on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Large

Post by David Large »

Robin,

I have sent you a pm.

David
David Large
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidA »

David ,I would be very interested to know how this type of link could work on a BRA and if fitting could be done with the body on.
The cart spring mgb set up is bit of a compromise with the shock absorbers not upright etc and I did investigate fitting an clever looking fully independent arrangement with a ford diff (I think) in its own cage years ago when I purchased coil over front suspension from John Hoyle ,who lives near me ,and was very helpful. From memory the conclusion was it was tricky fitting an independent rear to a built Hawk and and impossible to fit to a BRA.
In any event the idea of keeping my live axle which has now been carefully refurbed at some expense and contains an limited slip MGC diff is much more attractive .

Best Wishes to all for a Happy New Year.
David Large

Post by David Large »

I am seeing Frontline in London on Friday and I will report back.

David
David Large
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Looking at the Frontline picture it would seem possible to fit this to the BRA without major grief.

The forward end of the top link would go onto the large flat plate currently under the box section in that area, and the lower link onto the area where the anti tramp bar forward mount is.

The upper damper mount I have fixed to the chassis box section with a plate and pin that was in my Spax conversion.
I am going to the show tomorrow as I wangled some tickets.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
David Large

Post by David Large »

Hi,

My car has a full size steel spare wheel tub in the back of the chassis, I dont know if this will be in the way.

David
David Large
David Large

Post by David Large »

[quote="CobStang"

I am going to the show tomorrow as I wangled some tickets.[/quote]

Mark, I have sent you a pm

David
David Large
David Large

Post by David Large »

Having thought about this over the weekend, the 4 link setup looks good, but it is a lot of work. I am going to settle for fixing a Panhard rod and see what that does for the car.

David
David Large