Wiper blades

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Wiper blades

Post by nikbj68 »

This PRS7 on eBay appears to have less terminals!
Beware!
This has the washer integrated!!! :shock: Cobra has a separate washer button!!!
Lot of dosh to splash on the wrong thing!!! :evil:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks I have a PRS 5 which has right number of terminals just doesn't park. Do you know if it has to be a PRS 7 ?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The image I posted is from the AC Cobra chassis manual, which lists the switch as a PRS7. If you want a DR3 two-speed to park, it has to be a PRS7 family switch. As I have posted previously there are several different PRS7s, including the Stag/Dolomite light switch, which are nothing like the Cobra wiper switch. Keep hunting!
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks Roger I will keep looking, my dr3 wiper is a 120 degree sweep which seems too little do you know what it should be and where I can get the right gear wheel from.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I'm sure mine is less than 120°- I don't think it's more. Don't forget, if the motor is working properly it is sweeping the area directly in front of you, much higher up on the screen than the park position. The swept area should be symmetrical around an imaginary vertical line.
For different gear wheels, you just have to keep watching ebay, I'm afraid!
Best answer is Rain-X and a heavy right boot, I find...
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I think that 140°sweep would possibly be too much when you factor in the reverse park; mine, now with 120° almost touch the bottom of the screen on the 'outward' stroke, and park flush to the frame:

90° with R/H park:

120° with L/H park:

(...And yes, I know they now park on the 'wrong' side, but if it was good enough for 39PH... :wink: )

Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Nik,
If you're using a DR3 they should be parked lower down than that - as on 39PH, on the rubber.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Indeed, Roger; but it is a current, bog-standard 2-speed that I upped from 90-120°.
I was pointing out that a 140°sweep + the extra drop for parking would probably be too much. :wink:
Mine are set that in operation, they just reach the edge of the screen on the 'park' stroke, and the lower tips nearly touch the frame t'other. When not in use, I lift them onto the rubber, where they sit surprisingly well at most sensible speeds.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks I didn't realize that with the correct PRS7 switch it moves the wiper blades further down. That would probably mean my 120 degree sweep would work, now to find a PRS7 switch !

MOT booked tomorrow at 11am. This cobra must be the longest build in history 29 years !
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Homewood wrote:Thanks I didn't realize that with the correct PRS7 switch it moves the wiper blades further down. That would probably mean my 120 degree sweep would work, now to find a PRS7 switch !

MOT booked tomorrow at 11am. This cobra must be the longest build in history 29 years !
Yes, quite a long way further down as the motor reverses. It doesn't just run backwards, it goes to a completely different position, which is why you'll see originals with the wipers parked down on the rubber. I wish I could take a video of mine in action, but the file size's too big.