Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Paul Blore

Re: Lucas L542 dual bulb conversion

Post by Paul Blore »

Me too, so I can only assume therefore that they're 100% effective. :shock: :mrgreen:
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Wow! Wished I'd sold drugs that were this effective when I was purveying pills to the public! Dang, those things are good :lol:

You guys should take up copywriting!
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Okay, they're now ready to be ordered. Go to:

https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.ph ... d-115.html

The list price is £170, but when you go to the checkout, you can enter discount code "L542cobra" to get £20 off. Happy shopping.

For the people who got the first 7 orders (including Nick), I'll send you another discount code. :wink:

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

You need to change the shipment date to July.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Well spotted Clive. :wink:
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Paul
I assume that the unit has suitable wire tails to be able to make the necessary connections with our existing wiring. I wondered why the web site quoted both brake and earth wires as options.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Peter, I know I'm speaking for Paul here, but given the massive variation in how kit cars are built it would be impossible to construct the units with wiring that would suit everyone. I advised Paul that offering options in the way that he has would be the most sensible, on the basis that on an original car with a DB10, the direction indicator leads can be retained but the brake light lead would need to be rerouted. This lead goes from the brake light switch to the DB10, so would need to be disconnected and rerouted to the new brake lights directly. Brake light switches are in different places depending on who built the car - on an original, they are on the chassis behind the nearside rear wheel - and for whatever the application, it would not be clever to have a lead long enough to be routed through the car and connected directly to the relevant 'next' component. Sensible loom design would suggest tails of, say, 12" or so with a connector to extend on into the harness. For a kit built without a DB10, having separate brake lights already, this will give the option to merely splice into what you have already without needing to buy the options.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

What he said. :wink:

The tails are (now) 2" long with bullet connectors on the end. The optional earth wire is for the flasher unit, which has three rather than the more usual two connections.

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Fully understand the variations of the different set up in each vehicle. Personally I was expecting 3-4" tails but hopefully I won't have an issue with tails being only 2" as fortunately my loom ends have suitable loops which can be utilised. Not sure on the flasher set up as Gerry's relay mounting block only appears to have the two connections. Will need to investigate if there is an option of getting another spade into the block.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Good news and bad news.
Good news that my new LED rear lights have arrived from Spyida already. Also good news that the wire tails are over 200mm long so should not be any issue in connecting up to the existing loom ends.
Bad news is that the new flasher unit doesn't fit Gerry's flasher mounting block without modifying the mounting. Basically be warned that you will have to cut off two tiny webs that blend the flange into the body. If you have a mounting bolt through that flange as I did then you will also have to move it as the new flasher touches the mounting flange so no room for the head of a bolt.
The new flasher is 30mm wide whereas existing relays are either 26 or 28 wide and fit between the webs! Not an easy job to modify whilst the whole assembly is under the over hang of the wing.
When adding the female spade into the flasher mounting for the earth lead remember that you need one with a suitable tongue that retains it and will prevent it being pushed out when you push in the new flasher unit.
Glad to say flasher unit is now fitted and working so I can progress to the hopefully more interesting job of fitting the new light modules.
Peter C