Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Lucas L542 dual bulb conversion

Post by peterc »

Alan,
I can assure you that the LED light conversion is far brighter than a filament bulb and of course uses considerably less current.
Even with a highly polished stainless steel reflector the original filament bulb can't compete. The new LED rear light is approx as bright as the old filament brake light and the new LED brake light massively brighter still. Just look at Clive's picture as an example for comparison.

Clive, I did look into a LED rain/ fog light but couldn't see one that I could set into the bodywork to fill the hole left by the old indicators. I already have a remote rear fog light as it was a requirement for the SVA.
Yes, I did forget to switch it on in the rain as I was too busy dodging trucks that were straying beyond their lane.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive
Your rain light is significantly smaller than the Hella rear fog that I currently have so is worthy of serious consideration.
Is there a reason for mounting in the middle rather than the existing mount supplied by Gerry.
Did you bracket off the spare wheel well as the cross member looks rather difficult to access.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Peter,
I wasn't aware that there was a bracket supplied by GH. My original was fitted with a home made bracket which I could hinge up out of sight if needed as the original SVA friendly one looked completely out of place on a period car. I later replaced it with this one which was more subtle http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/1259-rear-fog/ but having seen Kevin Kivlochan's 289 at Silverstone in 2011 I decided to give the race light a try. It is fitted on a piece of aluminium and bolted directly through the spare wheel well. (This was a temp fixing two years ago!) Incidentally, my MOT tester has no problems with it.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)