Gauges and IVA

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Gauges and IVA

Post by JohnO »

Hi folks, I've been a bit quiet lately as I've been busy doing stuff other than working on the car - not good, I know - but I did promise a new kitchen when we moved house.

I've got most of by Ford 302 engine assembled and I'm looking at gauges. One thing puzzling me is that the Smiths Cobra gauges seem to come in V (original) or rounded (IVA compliant) bezel versions. A few questions, which I'm hoping are fairly simple...

1. Can I use the V bezel and just cover the dash with sticky foam for the IVA? I remember taping pipe lagging to a small radius rod in the footwell of my Caterham to get through the SVA. The tester actually suggested it!

2. If I can't do the sticky foam thing, do they screw off, and can I just get two sets?

3. If none of the above work, can anyone suggest any really cheap gauges that I'd use for just the IVA?

Thanks in anticipation... John
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
Roger King

Re: Gauges and IVA

Post by Roger King »

John, not sure about the sticky foam but the bezels can usually be 'screwed' off - i.e. twisted until the tangs release in the slots, look at the back of an instrument and you'll see what I mean - you can get rounded ones from the usual suspects and just switch over, then back again.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Could you split the insulation on some black 3-core flex and run that around the edge of the gauges, then clamp them into the dash as per normal?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by JohnO »

I've spoken to Tracy at Speedycables and as Roger says the bezels do come off and can be replaced. The are happy to supply with the rounded bezels fitted and the original V shaped ones so that I can swap the back post IVA (if I ever get there!).

I like Nik's idea of using black flex, but it would be just my luck if it fell off during the IVA!

Thanks again,
John
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

The flex outer would be clamped in place by the gauges, so couldn`t fall off, but if you can get IVA-friendly bezels that would be more 'proper' looking for the tester! :wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

hi John, I've got the rounded bezels on my clocks at the moment, but will be taking them off shortly when I redo my dash, you're welcome to have them if they're of use to you. I've the larger ones for the speedo & rev counter & I think it's five of the smaller ones for fuel etc.

cheers..Nige
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The ones behind the steering wheel can't be headbutted in the event of a crash so it doesn't matter about them anyway. I've kept the rounded bezels on mine, you don't really notice the difference.
Jmho

Post by allan horsfall »

I think Im right in saying that, thats why Gerry's dash has countesunk bits for the gauges?
For IVA the dash has to be padded, all I did was pad the dash with fairly thin foam, and fit the V-bezel dials in the countersunk bits. Job done!! No need to change them later.