Diff rebuild - tools required

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
iansutch

Diff rebuild - tools required

Post by iansutch »

Hi all

I am part way through refurbing the mgb tube live axle and have two jobs still left to do:

1. replace the pinion oil seal
2. replace the thrust washers

Does anyone know where I can buy a tool similar to the original mg bevel pinion flange wrench for the oil seal job and a tool to pull out one of the half shafts to replace the thrust washers?

I know some of you clever chaps have fabricated your own tools but alas my skills are somewhat more limited!

Thanks for your help
CobStang

Re: Diff rebuild - tools required

Post by CobStang »

You can put a couple of bolts through the flange holes and then using a bar undo the nut, making sure you marked it first to ensure it goes back in exactly the same place.
The half shafts are not in tight a loosely mounted road wheel will pull them out. You will almost certainly find you will need the centre pin as well as all four thrust washers, and if really bad the smaller gears as well.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Morning Ian,
I've never seen off the shelf tools to do those 2 jobs other than the standard tools you need such as a decent 3/4 socket set with a sturdy breaker bar as the hub nuts are pretty tight! You will need some decent bearing pullers to pull the bearings off the half shafts and a blow torch to heat the bearings prior to removal and to fit the new bearings. (The proper way is to use an induction heater for the purists) I can have a look to see if I've still got the bits I made to do those jobs. I should have time to try and find them at the weekend. You are welcome to borrow them if I have. Will report back.

Post by CobStang »

Don't believe the OP mentioned bearing replacement.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

If I pull half shafts, then I replace the bearings. They could have done 50k and Sod's law would say they go tits up 1000 mile in and it's much easier to do when they're not on the car with assembled brake back plates...
Jmho
We'll let the OP decide :wink:

Post by iansutch »

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciated.

Actually I had not considered changing the bearings, and actually am not sure when a change is required. Visually they look fine :D

Stew - anything you can lend me would be much appreciated, your pinion flange tool would be welcome.

Whilst I am happy to have a go at this stuff, I am getting to the point where I think it might be easier to take them to a pro to do them. Not having the tools nor the ability to fabricate is holding me up somewhat.

Wonder if I am mad to be considering building the engine up from a bare 289 block too..... :shock:
DavidA
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidA »

A couple of tips

- if you put the half shafts in the freezer (ideally cleaned first!) and get them really cold they contract in size enough to slip the new bearings on easily without heat,hammers etc.

- best to use new half shafts as I found out in the middle of France .

There are loads of helpful MGB illustrated articles and books which explain in detail how to strip the axle ,replace the shims and renew the main oil seal .Also some dodges on how to stop the roll pin going AWOL by using a split pin.Obviously all much easier off the car.

Have done it a couple of times but but in the end I got MG Motorsport to put the axle (including limited slip diff and MGC cogs)together and haven't had any problems.

Best Wishes and Good luck

DavidA
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Ian,
Have got the pinion wrench I made so you are more than welcome to borrow it. Don't know where you are in the world but you are more than welcome to bring you axle over here and I can help you overhaul it. I'm by no means a pro but am more than willing to help.

Post by iansutch »

Thanks Stew - Unfortunately I am a few hundred miles from you near the south coast.

I have found an mgb restorer who lives nearby though so am planning to see what he would charge to do the work and save me the hassle.

Has anyone considered a quaife diff in the mgb tube axle? Its something I might consider to make the unit more capable and give me better peace of mind.
Not sure whether this option would need upgraded half shafts though?
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

I have a friend who has a Hawk, he put a Quaife in his axle, he has never spoken positively about it, apparently when traction is lost it is really LOST and in the wet with a lot of torque this is less than desirable.

I four linked my open 3.07 tube axle with coilovers and am very pleased, I see no need to fit an LSD unit.

On bearings - if changing buy the very best, a 50 yr old is way better than a cheap new one.