Rover gear shift lever rotating

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
agnoraan

Rover gear shift lever rotating

Post by agnoraan »

The gear shift lever on my LT77 transmission seems to rotate over a period of time. Is there supposed to be something fitted to it to stop it doing this or does it have another issue?
Thanks in advance....NIge
Migge

Re: Rover gear shift lever rotating

Post by Migge »

Lever is from a Sherpa but it's nearly the same. I can only loosen at the "ball". May you ned to weld a spot on it?

Special customized BRA289
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

The pins on the ball stop the lever from rotating, the spring and plunger is an anti rattle device. If the lever is rotating then either the knob is the suspect or something more sinister is afoot in the lever that may warrant closer inspection before a parting of the ways occurs.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks guys, do you know if the lever and the ball part are two seperate items and if so how are they joined together? Migge is this the part that you said might need a spot of weld on it?
cheers...NIge
Migge

Post by Migge »

Have no other idea Nige. Are you sure the whole lever is rotating and not only the knob?

May you have a chromed after market lever that is "connected" to the original lever (in which way ever) and that the connection is coming off.
Special customized BRA289
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Migge wrote:Have no other idea Nige. Are you sure the whole lever is rotating and not only the knob?

May you have a chromed after market lever that is "connected" to the original lever (in which way ever) and that the connection is coming off.
Hi Migge, It's the whole lever, not just the knob, and it's standard Rover at the moment. I can also feel it twist slightly as I put it into first or third gear. I guess I'd best take it out when I get a few minutes spare and take a look and see what's happening in there

cheers..NIge
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote:not sure if they all have this 'cap' or not
http://www.v8register.net/FilesRV8WN/13 ... -up-SN.pdf
page 2 top left hand column ?
Hey Alan, what would i do without you :lol: :wink: Thanks for that, it's a good comprehensive bit of information. I'll take a look and see what's going on with it all, I'm sure it's just something stupid as other than the lever twisting it all works fine. I want to put on that lever and knob you sent me but I'll need to fix this first :wink:

cheers...Nige