Rover gear shift lever rotating

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
David Large

Re: Rover gear shift lever rotating

Post by David Large »

catsx11 wrote:not sure if they all have this 'cap' or not
http://www.v8register.net/FilesRV8WN/13 ... -up-SN.pdf
page 2 top left hand column ?

For the last couple of years my LT77 gear shift has been making and annoying rattle when accelerating in second gear only. As soon as I touch the gear lever it stops the noise. I guess you have just solved my problem.

Thanks.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CobStang

Re: Rover gear shift lever rotating

Post by CobStang »

I just looked at a lever on one of my spare boxes and tried to turn it but it was solid.
The lever has an enlarged area on the stem, now this can be the only area where a problem is likely to occur.

Without cutting it open I can only assume that this is a damper of some sort, it may be that the lever is two part and the enlarged area is a metalastik type bush to stop vibrations and over time the rubber has rotted allowing the top to turn.
The top of this enlarged piece is fixed to the upper part of the stem but the bottom may be open. I cannot see without removing the lever.

If the bottom is open then the only thing to do would be to run a weld around it, making the stem one piece.

As I said earlier the anti rattle device is the spring and plunger that goes in the ball, there may be additional vibration felt in welding the stem together, but to a rufty tufty Cobra driver it would be no big deal :D
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !