TKO 500 Gearbox in Hawk

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Rusty77

TKO 500 Gearbox in Hawk

Post by Rusty77 »

Hi all,

I know this is probably covered in another thread, but having (very) recently sold my Hawk I am now accumulating parts for the next one. I am pretty much sorted with all the spec apart from the gearbox and I am currently having a dilemma as to whether to go with the T5 unit, which seems to be the most polar choice or to install a TKO 500 or 600.

I am looking at the TKO units as the car will spend quite a portion of its time on the track and the spec seems more suited to this.

Has anyone fitted a TKO unit or does anyone regularly use their car for (hardish) track use with the T5 box and what are their experiences.

cheers

Pete
Roger King

Re: TKO 500 Gearbox in Hawk

Post by Roger King »

Toughest, probably best for track use and with the added bonus of being cheap, is the toploader. Can't imagine you'd use an overdrive 5th on a track unless it's the Nordschleife or the Avusring.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I agree with Roger. The Toploader is available in a wide range of options, it's relatively cheap (around $2,000-2,500 for a fully reconditioned unit) and they're pretty much indestructible.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

...or even buy used for a few hundred bucks, wide or close ratio, and rebuild yourself with a kit. Very easy job, just need one special tool - a large, specific pair of snap ring pliers.
Rusty77

Post by Rusty77 »

Thanks gents,

The top loader sounds an option, I am just wondering whether th slack of an overdrive would be an issue on longer road runs? `could either of you provide some thoughts on this?

thanks

Pete
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

How far do you plan on going? :wink:

I've recently come back from a 2,500 trip to Tuscany and back in mine (Roger also went in his Mustang) and I have a close-ration 'box with a 2.88:1 diff ratio. 3,000rpm equates to 80mph.
In reality, it doesn't need a close-ratio 'box and a standard wide-ratio would probably be better because it has a lower first gear.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

PaulB wrote:How far do you plan on going? :wink:

I've recently come back from a 2,500 trip to Tuscany and back in mine (Roger also went in his Mustang) and I have a close-ration 'box with a 2.88:1 diff ratio. 3,000rpm equates to 80mph.
In reality, it doesn't need a close-ratio 'box and a standard wide-ratio would probably be better because it has a lower first gear.

Paul
Erm... the Mustang has a T5, with a 0.78 overdrive 5th. 2,200 rpm at 85.
My Cobra has a T10, which is the original 289 4 speed with direct top so same as a toploader. With a 3.07 diff this will be fine for cruising. You'll have to do sums regarding ratios and diff ratios etc. There are calculators online which will tell you all you need to know.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I wasn't suggesting that you had a Toploader in the 'stang Roger, simply that you were also on the trip to Italy. :)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Pete,

I also run a close ratio toploader and frankly love it. Lack of overdrive means a bit harder on the fuel but a great solid box with a 'long' first and great 3rd/4th combo.

Dave.

Post by Paul Blore »

I didn't realise yours was a close ratio Dave.

It probably works a bit better in a 289, because the huge torque of a big block makes a CR 'box a bit unnecessary really.