TKO 500 Gearbox in Hawk

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: TKO 500 Gearbox in Hawk

Post by Dave Woodward »

C/R toploader works very well with my little 289.

Post by Roger King »

dwoodwar wrote:C/R toploader works very well with my little 289.
Which box did you get, Dave? If it's CR, is it a Tiger box (HEH-E)? Although if it's wide case it won't be, Tigers were narrow case only I think (for 5 bolt block). A Tiger toploader will put the gearstick exactly where you want it. If you go Mustang you will need to change the tailshaft housing etc. or the stick will be by your shoulder.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Thinking about it, you can't really have your cake and eat it in a 289. Apart from getting crumbs in the carpet, you have to consider how you want to use the car. There's no doubt about it, if I was building a car for track use it would have a toploader with a C/R gearset and a 3.54 axle ratio. This is pretty much how they were all built (although no 289 ever had a toploader - but T10 ratios are very similar), and should be blistering around a track, but hard work on a motorway (of which there were very few in '63/4).
For touring use, a longer diff is essential with a toploader. 2.88 is a very readily available Jag ratio, but would be way too long to use behind a 289 with a C/R box, which has a high first. It would be horrible around town and you'd get through clutches on a regular basis. I have gone for a compromise of a 3.07 axle with a W/R box, albeit a BW T10 not a toploader. My calculations indicate this should work OK - I have a mate with an E-type who has the same diff, the same wheel and tyre size and a 4 speed box without overdrive, and his cruising revs are about where I want to be.

Personally, I don't like the TKO boxes - they are very big and quite complex, not always good reliability reported, but I've never owned one so not the best person to ask. I've not seen one in a Hawk so I don't know if one would fit.

My Hawk had a T5, as does the Mustang, and it copes very well. 30,000 miles in the Mustang behind a Ford Motorsport 392 stroker with no issues. As ever, it depends on what you want to do with it.

Roger
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

The box came out of a GT350 being rebuilt for FIA racing. It had a long tail housing that was replaced with a short tail leaving the stick perfectly placed. I'm running 3.07 at the back which is a great combo with the box but a little more thirsty than my original spec on long hauls.

Post by Roger King »

Looks great - do you know what the short tail housing is from? Maybe Galaxie or Fairlane? I'd be interested to know the numbers on the tail housing but obviously they are probably not accessible now.
Good to know it's OK on a run, as that is basically my spec - 3.07 axle with a direct top. I chose the W/R to give a more 'streetable' drive in the lower gears. I have a C/R set if I ever feel like changing, not a big job.
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Pete
I am running a TKO in my FIA. It is however the older version - 3550 TKO II
Did need to file one of the webs on the underside of the case and mount it with a spacer on top of the chassis mounting point
Really like the box though - shift is great - although selecting first can get a bit stiff when very hot in stop start traffic.
It has a .82 (I think) 5th which with the 3.54 rear jag axle gives about 3000 RPM at 80 mph
Andy
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Roger King wrote:I'd be interested to know the numbers on the tail housing but obviously they are probably not accessible now.
I have some pictures somewhere Roger that I'll look out. Hopefully there will be a number in there somewhere.

Post by Rusty77 »

thanks for all the info gents, the Toploader sounds an option and I'm still not sure that the TKO will fit. Andy, do you know if there is a difference in case size between the 3550 and the TKO's?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Have a look at Moderndriveline.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/ ... utions.htm

Very helpful company. I used them for my Mustang (T5 conversion from 3-spd toploader) and they couldn't have been more helpful. They should be able to tell you about sizes, and will probably help with info even if you're not buying from them. Although they do present a simple service as they will know everything about conversion, fit, clutch actuation, bellhousings, etc. etc.

Roger
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

According to the following, the casings are same size.
Good info here too

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/3550_tko.html

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/5_speed.html

Andy