Disk brake options

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Paul Blore

Re: Disk brake options

Post by Paul Blore »

They look nice Peter.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see a problem with the pads slightly overlapping the outside edge of the disk. It will stop them getting that ugly ridge around the edge as the disk wears. :)

Having said that, I've done over 20,000 miles in mine and there's no sign at all of any wear on the disks, so it will be a very, very long time before any ridge develops.

I was thinking of filing the "Wilwood" off mine and repainting them black as I don't like to see the branding through the wheels.

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Paul Blore wrote: I was thinking of filing the "Wilwood" off mine and repainting them black as I don't like to see the branding through the wheels.
That was what I was thinking too. I'll probably have some VHT paint spare from redoing the block black, but it only goes to 288 degrees C, so maybe not enough? If I end up doing this I'll post you what's left in the can if you want Paul!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I repainted my Princess 4 pot calipers with Halfords Brake Caliper paint when I rebuilt them in 2006. Ten years and 35,000 miles covered, they are still holding up.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

amulheirn wrote:That was what I was thinking too. I'll probably have some VHT paint spare from redoing the block black, but it only goes to 288 degrees C, so maybe not enough? If I end up doing this I'll post you what's left in the can if you want Paul!
Hi Andy,

I've got some UVHT (Ultra VHT I think) black paint that I use on my exhausts and headers and I'm pretty sure they get much hotter than my callipers, so I'll give that a go.

Good find Clive, I hadn't realised there was specific paint for brake calipers. Presumably it isn't affected by brake fluid either.

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

It never comes in contact with brake fluid.
Cheers, Clive.

catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi guys
Yes Paul, I could easily agree that the odd mm of pad over hanging would keep the outside corner clean and tidy.
Its just the pads don't align with the full available swept area of the disc. I assumed that by moving in 1-1.5 would not only make full use of pad but also prevent an unused ridge on the pad and an equivalent ridge on the inner part of the disc.
Maybe I 'm being too perfectionist but then again its not actually been high enough on my to do list to have been corrected in 15 years!
Peter C
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

clive wrote:It never comes in contact with brake fluid.
Why, what do you use in your bakes? :shock:

There's always the possibility of some leakage when either bleeding the brakes or replacing the fluid.
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Paul Blore wrote:
clive wrote:It never comes in contact with brake fluid.
Why, what do you use in your bakes? :shock:
Like the Cubans maybe? Shampoo, sugar and in Clive's case, probably a single malt!!!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Just Dot4. I can never recall fluid leaking onto the caliper when bleeding, but if I did a wipe with a damp cloth or wash with water should prevent any paint stripping. An alternative to paint would be powder coating.
Cheers, Clive.