spinner removal

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: spinner removal

Post by Roger King »

I don't wire mine, but it's a road car and the 'AC' spinners were never wired.
Nik, I do hope you have an axle stand somewhere under that car as well as an L-saddle jack, on a round-profile chassis tube! Hawk (and AC) chassis are perfectly designed for the use of axle stands.
And, er, what are all those washers doing under the nut on the outer pivot pin?
Whilst I accept that there are differing opinions on the use of Copaslip or LM on the hub parts, I personally wouldn't let white grease anywhere near these components.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Haha!!! You fell into my trap... it`s not an 'L' saddle, it`s a 'U' saddle, just squared off, not curved!
But yes, there was an axle stand too. :twisted:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

As Roger said, I don't think white grease is the right thing for these either.

Paul
PeterA

Post by PeterA »

Hi - For some years now I've used Castrol Spheerol SX2 for wheel location lubrication, corrosion arrest and anti sieze. Primarily a marine grade grease for open gear and cable protection in sea water exposed areas, it is a complex Calcium construction and thus has a higher temp range than standard Lithium. The data sheet boasts excellent corrosion protection, high resistenace to water wash off, strong adhesion to surfaces and contains no heavy metals or harmful constituents. It is also the recommended grease for use with wire wheel splines by Castrol's Classic Division. To date I have had no negative issues at all ( he said tempting providence).
Regards Peter
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Sounds like a good option, Peter - although the high temp shouldn't be an issue in this application. I see it's available from Opie.

Doesn't anybody do these things in tins anymore??
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have lock wired my spinners from day one but I do have the larger three eared spinners as used on the wider alloys.
Always remember a picture of a Cobra with its rear wheel having become disconnected and then overtaking the car during a race.
I have always thought perhaps a smaller hammer should be used to lock the spinner which would over come the tendency to be too enthusiastic. Use a heavier weight mallet to remove.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Bizarre, the response I made to this yesterday has disappeared...

Peter, if it's the same episode I am thinking of, the hub was still attached to the wheel so the spinner was not involved. This happened fairly frequently in the early days of racing Cobras, until the rear hub unit was beefed up.
If all has been assembled correctly you should not need to hit the spinners massively hard when doing them up. It's worth noting that later in their lives, Healeys, MGBs etc. changed from 12 tpi fine thread to 8 tpi coarse threads for the spinners, presumably for reliability reasons.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Is the top pair of photos from a current eBay listing?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.