spinner removal

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: spinner removal

Post by peterc »

I have lock wired my spinners from day one but I do have the larger three eared spinners as used on the wider alloys.
Always remember a picture of a Cobra with its rear wheel having become disconnected and then overtaking the car during a race.
I have always thought perhaps a smaller hammer should be used to lock the spinner which would over come the tendency to be too enthusiastic. Use a heavier weight mallet to remove.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Bizarre, the response I made to this yesterday has disappeared...

Peter, if it's the same episode I am thinking of, the hub was still attached to the wheel so the spinner was not involved. This happened fairly frequently in the early days of racing Cobras, until the rear hub unit was beefed up.
If all has been assembled correctly you should not need to hit the spinners massively hard when doing them up. It's worth noting that later in their lives, Healeys, MGBs etc. changed from 12 tpi fine thread to 8 tpi coarse threads for the spinners, presumably for reliability reasons.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Is the top pair of photos from a current eBay listing?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote:
agnoraan wrote:...trying to find a less brutal way of trying to get them undone...
A man of your talents could 'knock-up' something similar to these?…
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/tool-ta ... 30392.html

Thanks Alan, are you inside my head again :lol: ? I was thinking the exact same thing, that I could knock something heavy duty up to do the job, as shop bought ones seem to be mega bucks :wink:

cheers...Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I've just contacted a guy called Lionel that made the spinner removal tool for the Lotus' in the thread that Alan posted up

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/tool-ta ... 92-15.html

He thinks he has a pattern for the Trigo spinners and can make a tool for them on a three week turnaround. He's also prepared to make a tool for any type of spinner if needs be. Total cost is £45.00 . He offers a 12 month guarantee againt damage or defects and claims he's never had one returned. For the money, I think it's probably the way to go, so I'm going to place an order. By the time I add up the cost of materials and time, it's easier and quicker to buy one. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I just have to send it back to him. He will accept payment upon receipt and satisfaction that it's what I want. Sounds all to good to be true, so we'll have to see....watch this space as they say

cheers...Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

catsx11 wrote:Nige you probably spotted it, but the second photo was to show how another tool design 'hooks' around the back of the spinner
You don't want it to slip.

Thanks Alan, yeah, I did spot that and wouldn't be too hard to replicate. I'll wait and see what the guy says about the one I spoke of above first though. At £45.00 it's way cheaper than all of the others that sell for £200 upwards.
cheers...NIge
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

After having a really good chat with the guy, I've placed an order for a spinner removal tool costing £45.00. He was extremely helpful and seems like a really good guy. The turnaround time is approx three weeks, so once I receive it, I'll report back on how it is. He'd be happy to supply tools for other club members once he knows that this one works perfectly. Hopefully no more clouting ten shades with a hammer and the plus side is that they can be torqued up to the spec that Trigo gives, so no more "is that tight enough?" scenarios....... win, win methinks :lol:

cheers...NIge