spinner removal

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: spinner removal

Post by Roger King »

His name is Lionel Roberts - he is a retired engineer who makes spinner tools (wheel widgets!) to order. He's making one for me suitable for the stock chrome spinners - but asks for diameter measurements first to be on the safe side. He has asked that I check all four spinners on the car, so he clearly works to pretty tight tolerances.

Roger
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:His name is Lionel Roberts - he is a retired engineer who makes spinner tools (wheel widgets!) to order. He's making one for me suitable for the stock chrome spinners - but asks for diameter measurements first to be on the safe side. He has asked that I check all four spinners on the car, so he clearly works to pretty tight tolerances.

Roger
Yep, that's the guy, he's made one for a Halibrand spinner (in the picture) He's making one of those for me but has said if it's not an exact fit, for me to send him a spinner and he'll make one to fit at no extra cost.:-). When this thread started asking for a tool to do this job, you could have told me about this guy ;-) :-P

Cheers.... Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:When this thread started asking for a tool to do this job, you could have told me about this guy ;-) :-P

Cheers.... Nige
Didn't know about him, Nige - just followed your links on this thread! Thanks are due to you for the lead!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I just stumbled across this rather cool spinner removal tool, available from Oldtimertools.de:

http://www.oldtimertools.de/shop/index.php?cPath=6_14

I really want the telescopic ratchet and leather bag, but at 599 euro, it'll have to wait a bit! I'll put this link on the Wiki for future reference.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Any updates on the spinner removal tool? Does it work well?
I have Trigos and would be interested in getting one.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Well, having seen how DENNIS OLTHOFF does it, I don`t think I`ll bother saving up for a spinner tool! 8)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

KevinW wrote:Any updates on the spinner removal tool? Does it work well?
I have Trigos and would be interested in getting one.

Hi Kevin, I spoke with Lionel last week and he should have the removal tool completed in the next week or so. As soon as I've tried it out I'll post up how it performs

Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The main point of the video is don't over tighten. Easily controlled by only using the hammer head and not swinging from the end of the handle.
Maybe I just need to slacken mine off and re tighten with less effort. Mind you I have not had any issues with removal to date other than needing a little extra heavy clout.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Well, my "Wheel Widget" arrived the other day and it's a lovely piece of kit. Lionel did a fantastic job and it works really well. He did say that if it didn't fit, for me to send it back to him to modify it to work as it should. As this was the first that he's made one for the Trigo wheels we were expecting some possible teething troubles. The only thing that I did was to mill 4mm from the face that is nearest the whel, so that the tool could engage behind the spinner slightly more. I've spoken to Lionel abou this and he can modify any future ones accordingly. The best bit is the cost, at only £45.00 all in, it's easily worth that than struggling to hammer wheels off. He has said that he'd be more than pleased to make more for 289 Register members :D .

Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.