May this helps.

Special customized BRA289
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Coolant system upgrade

Post by StewbieC »

Thanks Migge,
If that bracket on the footwell was on both sides it'd make it easier. Also the high footwells on the Hawk doesn't make it easy. :twisted:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Can't be done in a Hawk. I tried with mine and the Hawk footboxes are way too high to allow the tubes to go anywhere near the right places. You would have to put an angle in them ahead of the footbox. The steering column is higher too, which would interfere with the tube down near the lower UJ. Stick a couple of tubes in the cockpit as the dash supports, though - that's easy enough.

I guess the photos are of a Kirkham, in which the placing of the footbox brackets can be arbitrary at best. There should be a bracket on both sides, but the one on the passenger side should be a small rectangle. Does the same job, though. The driver's side one has the elongated shape because the steering column support bracket picks up on the underside in the position where the aerotight nut is positioned.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I don't see fixing to the scuttle as an issue as this can be done out of sight. If you can make the suspension turret connection better than attached picture then you have cracked the problem of the Hawk high level footwell.
scuttle brace bar.jpg
Changing bolts for socket button head would improve appearance.

My bars pass through the scuttle bulkhead ( as per original ) then have a small bend to realign with a screwed joint. Yes, you will need to be able to remove the NS bar for battery access unless you have moved that as well. The screwed joint is then part of a short continuation of the tube which then bolts to an angle bracket rising up from the bottom bar of the scuttle. My battery lasted 15 years so its not a regular removal job!

Hope this makes sense if not I'm sure its food for thought on how you can attach the scuttle end of the bar out of sight.
Another comment - make the hole through the scuttle a little over size and then seal from inside cockpit with silicone. Too tight a fit and its squeaks like a strangled canary over every road bump.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Migge

Post by Migge »

So your chassis frame is not stiff enough and bending :)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think they call it scuttle shake and might of course merely be my simple bracketing onto the scuttle bar. Yes, I'm sure the whole lot twists after all its only two tubes joined horizontally in a few places. The scuttle construction is fairly simple and only intended to hold up the windscreen and support the steering column. It has zero across the car bracing of any substance compared to a tubular space frame chassis.
Jacking up one side of the front quickly sees the other matching it squarely so it ain't that bad really and probably better than a lot of other replicas.
Of course I expect you have tested yours ?
Isn't is amazing how a coolant upgrade mod changes into a discussion on the chassis.
Perhaps you have just been winding me up Migge? :lol:
Migge

Post by Migge »

Yes Peter,

Just joking :D
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Inaccurate replica! The real thing only has 3" tubes so there's a lot more flex. The tubes are closer together in an original, too.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Shrouding all finished, with engine running sits quite happily at 85 degrees. Highest temp experienced was just over 90 degrees. Hoping it will be OK in warmer weather.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Very impressive - looks like the original design to me even if Roger can see the errors.
Peter C