Hawk front suspension parts

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hawk front suspension parts

Post by peterc »

Paul
I may well agree on the professional set up being better than my own garage but initially I have assistance from an ex formula ford and Ginetta racer. He has offered me use of his truly flat garage floor.
Some simple equipment can achieve good results. If I 'm not happy with the end results then I will investigate more a more professional source.
At present I do have the nose down attitude on the chassis dimensions. 6.75 at the rear and 6.25 at the front. The car has definitely dropped since build and raising 0.5 all round would maybe be the difference between hitting sleeping policemen and not.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan
Reading back through this thread I didn't reply to your concern that I had only been measuring the height above wheel to wheel arch.
I absolutely agree that dimensions should be to something associated with the chassis/ suspension not a bit of fibreglass.
My car was set up with a spirit level on floor to check accuracy of the concrete and measured all round for chassis heights to ground. Camber was checked with a engineers combination gauge but hoping I can borrow a proper Dunlop camber gauge this time.
The only omission was not adding the weight of a driver into the seat.
My ex racing friend suggested to do this but I worked in the basis that as soon as a passenger got in it would be all out of sync.
The measuring to top of tyre is not only an asthetic check but a enables a check at any time to ensure that car is still as it should be without crawling under the car.
Interesting to see your dimensions of 190 = 7.5" front and 205 = 8.2" rear as that is significantly higher than mine ( 6.25"/6.75")
I am currently investigating springs with Gerry to see what he currently recommends for Rover engined cars.
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

catsx11 wrote:...MGB Front Springs AHT21PR with 480lb/" rate. 550lb is probably the max firmness you want to go to for road use as 650's will be very jittery I've been told and best suited to track use.
You're spot on Alan...my MGB has been on 400lb fronts ever since I bought it...just upgraded to 600lb. should be much more planted at the front, which might mean no more lairy pics of the inside front wheel 3ins above the track! :roll:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"