Safety belts for FIA

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Safety belts for FIA

Post by nikbj68 »

I`m thinking of adding the lower straps to mine, but as the belts are out of date, don`t know whether to hang on & replace the lot sometime in the future, but if I`m not entering any FiA sanctioned events, is there any point? Track days aren`t interested in belt age are they?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

They don't check anything Nik. They just require you to sign a disclaimer.

However, I wouldn't hang about adding the extra belt though as it only takes one relatively minor shunt to really spoil your day.

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I had been driving short distances just using the lap straps, until Dad said: "I saw Nick Granville-Smith crash wearing just lap belts.... Not good. "
So now I ALWAYS wear the shoulder the shoulder straps too . :oops:

The Willans Crotch Straps only appear to have eyebolt fixings though...
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:I had been driving short distances just using the lap straps, until Dad said: "I saw Nick Granville-Smith crash wearing just lap belts.... Not good. "
In a Cobra roadster, probably better with no belts at all.

And I'm pretty sure wearing just lap belts in a car that has shoulder straps fitted is illegal, sorry!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

nikbj68 wrote:Willans Crotch Straps[/url] only appear to have eyebolt fixings though...
They will probably make up a strap for you with the ends you need if you ask them.

Paul
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

I think you'll find that a crotch strap - to be properly effective - should come up through a cut out in the front of the seat. That is why race seats are designed that way. I presume the reason for this is what can happen to your wedding tackle when the crotch strap comes over the seat front edge and then prevents you from submarining.

That written, it hasn't stopped me from using mine :lol:

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

...and no, I don't sing like the lead singer of The Darkness!
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

For what it's worth Colin, I think your "lap" strap is too low in your MG as they come over your thighs rather than your hips. It would be improved simply by lengthening the crotch strap slightly.

Ideally, the crotch strap should come up through the seat, but that can only work on a 5-point harness. I personally find a 6-point more comfortable.

Paul